Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When School Supplies cross the line...

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 4:42 PM
  • 466 Replies
2 moms liked this

I will buy all kinds of crap for kids, and I will continue to buy all year. I understand kids need kleenex and hand sanitizer and pencils and paper and crap but 10 folders and 10 spirals is a little much for a 2nd grader. Unfortunately, thats not the worst of it:

Lysol Disenfectant Bathroom Spray

2 Refill containers of Liquid Hand soap

2 boxes Qt size ziplock bags

2 boxes Gallon siez Ziplock bags

Dry erase markers

I have seen chalk and chalkboard erasers on the list before. I will NOT buy supplies that should be provided by the district. I am all for helping out, but this is getting out of hand and I KNOW it only gets worse...I am dreading the day I have to start buying for two :(

EDIT: I understand its a little early for most people to start thinking about August, but with one income we cannot wait until the week before school to buy stuff.

EDIT TWO: It seems most everybody agrees that buying extra basics are normal and understandable and its sad that individuality is taken away completely (solid color  supplies and bags with no designs, etc). Some of the outrageous stuff seems okay if explained-like dry erase markers if the kids are using them. I will say that our teachers have always been willing to help, but I am one of those parents who like to have everything on the first day. Cleaning supplies fall under the gray area where its debated wether or not its the schools responsibility (I would thing Safety and Sanitization Standards should be met by the school, not the parent) but it is also pretty unanimous that we all relent to buying it for the kids health. While this is only a small portion of the supplies requested, I know it gets worse. I just wonder where the line gets drawn and it looks like there isnt one :( Thanks to everyone for their input, this took off WAY more than I expected it to!!

by on May. 15, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd rather buy the 10 folders and notebooks for my kid then the bags and sprays. At least mltn MY kid is going to use them.

heavenly1462
by Jessica on May. 15, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Wow that's crazy!
enlightened_24
by on May. 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Exactly. Although I dont think he will use them, I will get the folders and spirals (I take what is sent home at the end of the yr and use it for the next if possible). The rest of that crap is the districts reposnibility and I am NOT going to supply them with those things. My sons teacher sent home a note stating they needed 3-4 things to finish the year, and I bought everything that weekend. I am totally reasonable TO A POINT.

villagemamma
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM
7 moms liked this

I kind of understand it though i hate it. School budgets have been cut so bad that they dont even have a budget for basic classroom nessesities. And the reason for the quantitty is to make up for all the parents that wont provide that stuff.

rosie211
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I hated that type of stuff when mine were is PS. Ugh. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Do you realize how much they're cutting? In our district they're talking about kids buying their own text books next year when they all need to be updated again.

Nichole0403
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Don't forget the box of baby wipes...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM
3 moms liked this

We usually need 3-4 folders. They have testing on books...one folder....my older son needs them for each subject, obviously. Ziplock bags come in VERY handy. Lysol....really? Complaining about that? It is a must in my house, and helps with the nasty germs kids spread at school. I guess it doesn't bother me. I will have 3 to buy for next year, and you will never find me complaining.

Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on May. 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Boo freaking hoo.
My kid was in kindergarten this year and needed about four times as much stuff.
..A5HL3Y..
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM
3 moms liked this
Isn't it too soon for these posts?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)