Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Maybe you can help me on how to deal with a kid at daycare UPDATE 5/18

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

I started working at a daycare this week. All is well, I love the kids and things get crazy but I do like the job. I have mostly worked with the infants, but I worked with four year olds all day today. There is one little boy that was hanging all over me on Monday. He wanted to hold my hand on the playground the whole time and was constantly rubbing or patting me, I had to keep moving his hands down and telling him to stop. I tried to give him a little extra attention in case that is what he wanted but it was making him worse.

Well, today he was totally the opposite. He followed me around tormenting me. On the playground he was jerking my shirt, hitting me, kicked me, threw mulch at me, and even spit on me. I sat him in a time-out spot and he refused to stay. I put him back over and over and finally he just ran to the slides and sat down and started crying. 

I'm not sure what to do. If it was just on the playground for a bit I could deal with it, but it was all day. Literally, all day. I eventually had to send him to the office to sit because I had 18 other kids to watch and he was taking all my time. Any advice?

So yesterday I was in his class again. He did better. Not a whole lot better, he still picked on me alot and even tried to bite me which is a big no no. But overall, he did ignore me for about 20 minutes on the playground which hasn't happened previously. He won't be there next week, he only attends every other week.

So maybe he just needs to get used to me? I just don't understand why I'm the only one he has done this to. When he hit me on the back I turned around and asked him why he did that. He said "because I want to hurt you so bad you have to stay in the hospital for a whole day"...IDK, it seems to me he has serious problems but maybe with some time and patience he will change the way he is with me.

I took some of your advice and tried to make him my helper, but he didn't take to it. He just screamed NO at me and took off running making a bigger mess. I did take time to read him his favorite book during center time, he liked that and was somewhat nice for about a half hour. Maybe little things like that over time will help.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Just when I thought I wanted to work at my sons preschool as a teachers aid...lol better think twice...

no idea mama

good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM

are you the lead teacher or teachers aide?

hismommy2010
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM

he is 4? He probaly has a crush on you. remember how lil boys/kids pick on the ones they like? I'm sure that's what this is.

Ask the day care for help, advice. Tell them?

Snapdragon88
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Talk to his parents?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM

sounds like he's got a crush.

there's a five year old in our taekwondo class that is like that with me, but my 7 year old is pretty protective.  when he sees this kid talking to me he'll come over and get in between.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Well I just started and I'm a "floater" until I get to know all the classes. The teacher in class has been there ten years so if I am staying in that class I will likely be the aide. However I did have them by myself and have everday this week at the end of the day for about an hour and a half.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I did talk to the director today. She said it may be where I am new and to let her know if it continues.

Quoting hismommy2010:

he is 4? He probaly has a crush on you. remember how lil boys/kids pick on the ones they like? I'm sure that's what this is.

Ask the day care for help, advice. Tell them?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM
You're new. He's pushing your buttons. Stay firm on telling him to keep his hands to himself and reward him with praise when he acts good. Make him your helper when you have to watch the 4 year olds.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I was wondering what teachers aides normally make at preschools?

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I just started and I'm a "floater" until I get to know all the classes. The teacher in class has been there ten years so if I am staying in that class I will likely be the aide. However I did have them by myself and have everday this week at the end of the day for about an hour and a half.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I really hate to do that so quickly. His mom died and his grandparents are raising him. I would like to try to work it out myself first, especially since I just started. I did talk to the director of the daycare today though, she said it might be because I am new and if it continues let her know.

Quoting Snapdragon88:

Talk to his parents?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN