Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should moms get preference for time off?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 167 Replies

This has been a debate at my workplace lately. We need to request time off for holidays a month in advance. Our store and office is open the July 4th holiday.

Almost all the college kids that work there put in their time off request to go to a cabin together last week. However, the moms didn't put in their time off requests then, and it's on a first in/first granted basis. They are all now flipping out because they won't be able to find childcare and will miss a fun holiday with their kids.

Do you think moms/parents should get preference in these cases?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shymomof4
by Kristyn on May. 16, 2013 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

No.  If everyone knows the policy, they should have asked first. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 16, 2013 at 2:35 AM
8 moms liked this

For the record, my opinion is that these moms should have planned ahead. Holidays don't just sneak up on you, and it's not fair to penalize the other coworkers just because they don't have kids. That attitude seems really entitled. 

teenmom0305
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:36 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 16, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Nope
AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on May. 16, 2013 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this

This exactly. 

Quoting Anonymous:

For the record, my opinion is that these moms should have planned ahead. Holidays don't just sneak up on you, and it's not fair to penalize the other coworkers just because they don't have kids. That attitude seems really entitled. 

momofpreemieboy
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Yes absolutely

MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:42 AM

I think in some cases because obviously someone with less responsibilities at home can be more readily available. 

bi-polarmommy
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM

nope - first request in, gets first priority, dont like not getting the holiday off, make your request earlier

i would ask my manager what the first day to put in a time off request for a specfic day is, have the form filled out and hand it in at the start of business that day

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 16, 2013 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly? I do believe parent's should have more priority when it comes to requesting time off. When I was a teen I never understood why moms I worked with would get Halloween (or any holiday really) off even when I requested before them, however now that I have children of my own I get it. 

bellawomen
by Summer on May. 16, 2013 at 2:44 AM
No. As long as the policy is well stated and equal to all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured