Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Redshirting" are you for or against it... AND WHY!?

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 420 Replies
6 moms liked this

How do you feel about holding any child back from entering kindergarten until they are 6 instead of 5?

Do you like the idea...?

Do dislike the idea...?

I admit I did some research on this topic. And I am posting this because I have made the decision to Hold my son back a year. He will not begin formal educational activities until 6. 

Why?

Here are the real life results of Redshirting that made up my mind to hold my son back.

1. achieve academically in math and reading either at par with or above their classroom peers.
  2. have increased social confidence and popularity.
  3. require less special education services than children who were retained in kindergarten instead of redshirted.
  4. are far less likely to be singled out as children who need medications for ADHD.

With results like these who can argue that it IS in the best interest of the child to be held back one year. 

by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
davnrori
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM
4 moms liked this

My child started kindergarten when she was 4 yrs old. She is doing fine. I plan on sending my son to Kindergarten next year when he is 5 yrs old. I think graduating HS at 19 or 20 would be weird.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
We held ds 8 almost 9 back. He is finishing 2nd grade and it was the best decision. We just decided to hold back dd 4. She is doing one more year of preschool.
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:34 AM
2 moms liked this
I think that it may be appropriate for some children. Not all kids are mature enough to handle a full day of school at 5. I can definitely see a differnce in the kids in my son's kindergarten class that are "young" in comparison to the others.
I think if it's being done for academics and because you genuinely want your child to be mature enough for school it's reasonable. I have heard that some parents in the South and Texas do it to give their boys an edge over other kids in sports. There was an article in a pediatric journal. If I can find it I will link. That seems like a ridiculous move in my mind.
AHmom103
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM
4 moms liked this

I could never do that to my kids. They're very smart for their ages, my 5 year old daughter was ready to start kindergarten last year, but due to the policies in our school district, she was made to wait. I'm already anticipating that she will be extremely bored at school, because she's already doing a lot of the same things the first grade is doing. My younger daughter will probably be the same way.

HousewifeNina
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Fuck that. I am holding my kids back til they are 7.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eztwins
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM
6 moms liked this
I think its a case by case basis. You know your child best. It's not all about academics at this age. Emotional readiness plays a large part. I sometimes wish we had waited the extra year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 16, 2013 at 8:38 AM
2 moms liked this
Very much for it. I did it with my son, now doing it for my daughter. Best decision I've ever made as a mom.
kmugs
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I think it is fine.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 16, 2013 at 8:40 AM
It would really depend on the kid and not just because of that list. My daughter missed the cut off date but if her birthday wouldn't have been so late I would have sent her.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:40 AM
4 moms liked this

I truly believe that we are putting our kids in school too soon. Especially with preschool being pushed now.

In most countries that are doing better than we are academically, their kids don't start public school until they are 7/8 years old. They are emotionally and mentally ready at that age to start school.

We chose not to send our kids to preschool or kindergarten, my oldest DS didn't start school until 2nd grade because he just wasn't ready emotionally for that kind of environment. My DD started the same time he did but in 1st grade.

I hope the idea of putting kids in school later catches on. =D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured