Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What should kids NEVER wear to school?

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM
  • 204 Replies
3 moms liked this

7 Things Moms Shouldn't Let Their Kids Wear to School

by Jeanne Sager

Kids Should Never Wear to SchoolIt seems like at least once a week, a story crops up in the news about a school trying to enforce a dress code that's a little out-of-control. Calling kindergartners' skirts out for being too short (when they're wearing tights!). Banning long hair on little boys.

They make me as crazy as any mom. But if I had to be honest, I feel for school administrators. Because for all of us parents just trying to apply common sense to how we dress our kids, there are the parents who go off the rails.

Take, for example, the mom who lets her 6-year-old wear high heels to school. I shouldn't have to tell you that's inappropriate, but apparently it has to be said.

Yes, there are dress codes that treat our kids like they're going to prison instead of school. There are dress codes that sexualize little kids and seem to slut shame girls

But there is also a reason schools have dress codes. It's called idiot parents.

If you're not one of them, you probably wouldn't send your kid to school in just about anything on this list.

1. Out-of-Season Outfits

Sure, there are some kids who run a little hot, and they want to wear a t-shirt in the winter. But ask any teacher what they hate most, and it's not the sexy clothing on teenage girls that bugs them most. They'll probably tell you there's nothing more heartbreaking than seeing a little kid whose parents are still sending him to school in shorts and no coat in 30-degree weather.

2. Tube Tops

This is not about sexuality folks. It's about practicality. All it takes for a prankster to make a girl's life a living hell is to give a tube top one quick yank. Straps save sanity.

3. High Heels

It's bad enough trying to walk in these when you're an adult ... and they're bad enough on adult feet. But kids shouldn't be wearing this kind of dangerous footwear to begin with, so why would you have them hobbling around school in a pair?

4. Flip Flops

I'll admit I let my daughter wear these "shoes" -- even though they're not particularly good for your feet! But there are more than a few reasons not to let them wear a pair of flip flops to school -- from the heightened danger from falling objects (just imagine a pair of scissors in a kindergarten classroom ... ouch) to the difficulty of walking (nothing screams fall hazard like a 6-year-old making her way down the stairs to the cafeteria in a pair of flip flops).

5. Anything With a Hole

Sure, some well-placed holes are fashionable, but for the most part, holes just make your kid look unkempt ... and there's a major risk of the holes being made BIGGER by pranksters on the playground.

6. Pajamas

I don't care HOW late you're running. Your kids are old enough to know that pajamas are bed clothes, not clothes to wear in public.

7. Dirty Clothes

A little stain is one thing, especially if it's just from a toothpaste mess-up that you didn't catch until they were JUST getting on the bus. But nothing makes bullies jump on kids faster than dirty clothes. Show a little respect for your kids; wash their darn clothes.

What would you add?

by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SageAdvice
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM
27 moms liked this

I would add my children are fully capable of dressing themselves, and as long as they are comfortable, I could care less what a teacher thinks.

QuirkyMom26
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM
11 moms liked this

I don't think I'd add much more. I firmly believe in school uniforms; they would solve a lot of issues. Less bullying, less problems keeping up with dress codes, easier morning routines and less stress on the parents to buy new clothes throughout the school year.

I wish dd's school had uniforms I would be all for it. 

liveforever
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM
6 moms liked this

The underwear looking short shorts. 

My dd is in 1st grade and I get they are little, but its still insane how short the shorts are getting. I bought her a pair of bermudas at Target the other day and they hit where shorts SHOULD!

svolkov
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Sweats lol social suicide
dtm1491
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Skirts without shorts underneath and sneakers without laces

Msgme
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I personally don't care what kids wear to school.  In the elementary grades  having everything covered is a good idea.  My youngest is still in elementary and she still wears a uniform (most days anyway) but on days she's not I don't really care as long as she's happy.   I prefer clean clothes and it has never been an issue but i wouldnt make a big deal if she chose something not so perfect.  Pj's she's only worn on PJ day but thats her choice.  High heels  she wore them today.   2 inch heel  she had to wear black dress shoes and they are her only pair (actually big sis's pair) so she wore to school since the concert was at 9:00  about 10 mins after she got there she had to go to rehersals.  she has her sneakers in her bag for after the concert.  then she'll put them on again for dance class in afterschool.  Anything to short is not in her wardrobe so it wouldnt be an issue.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM
7 moms liked this

I don't get people who say they don't care what their children wear to school. That statement/attitude is a completely foreign concept to me. It's your JOB to care!

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I agree with all of those.  That said, my kids had minds of their own, and my in-laws, who got them to school for us when they were younger (DH and I were already at work before school started for the day), rarely paid attention to what they actually had on when they walked out the door.  My youngest would wear whatever he grabbed first, dirty or not.  Setting out clean clothes for him didn't work.  Our oldest is like his Dad and refused to wear a coat if it wasn't below 40 degrees, as did our daughter.  Like to drove me nuts. 

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

A strap-on and chainmail.

Sometimes when I'm alone, I like to Google myself.

If you like my style, follow my blog.  I am Random Ninja - Writer of Wrongs.
Click it.  Share it.  (Tell 'em it's just a cold sore.)

elkmomma
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I see a lot of HS girls wearing shirts that require the showing of bra straps; it's just tasteless.

Boys in baggy jeans down to their knees; just trashy and looks more like a wanna be gang banger (IMO).

I'd rather see jammy pants than a barely there crotch cover.

Watched an 8yo this morning on her way to school; looked like she just came off the set of Jersey Shore.  8yo's never NEED that much makeup; if any.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)