Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I told the school my daughter should be suspended

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 29 Replies
DD7 is autistic with psychosis. She is in 2nd grade ese. When she has an outburst at school, she usually directs everything at herself or property. Well a few weeks ago, she started becoming physically aggressive with the aides in her class. Yesterday she attempted to knock a desk over on another student. I spoke to her about It and she promised she wouldn't try to hurt a student again. I got a call from her teacher about 90 minutes after school started this morning saying that she had Hit a fourth grader who volunteers in the classroom to help with reading. The teacher asked me if I thought My DD should get a referral (they for the most part allow me to dictate the consequence for the more out of control behaviors). I told her that I thought a referral was appropriate and if she hurt a student again she should be suspended.

My view is When a teacher or aide accepts a job in an ese classroom, they are accepting the risk that they may be assaulted. Children should not have to accept that risk. They should feel safe at school whether It's around My child or someone elses.

Am I wrong to encourage the school to take disciplinary actions on My daughter?
by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lulumomof2
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM
4 moms liked this
you know you dd better than anyone else, and if you think its the right step, then you aren't wrong!

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

Mommytoaangel
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
No your not ur doing what u feel is best i would do iss
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2many747
by Momma Duck on May. 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Bump
alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Nope, I would feel the same.

baquick
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM
I agree with previous posters. You know your child best.
princeessville
by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM
4 moms liked this
You sound like a wonderful mother as a mother of kids who volunteer thank you for thinking of my kids.... i wish more parents would be like you. thank you awsome mom!
mom2many747
by Momma Duck on May. 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM
3 moms liked this
Thank you for the appreciation. The last thing I want is for My daughter to think It's Ok to hurt other kids. Even more so, I don't want the kids who are kind enough to take time out of their day to volunteer to become discouraged and give up. Volunteering helps children learn a valuable lesson. I don't want that lesson to turn into "volunteering hurts".

Quoting princeessville:

You sound like a wonderful mother as a mother of kids who volunteer thank you for thinking of my kids.... i wish more parents would be like you. thank you awsome mom!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM
if you think that the suspension will help your daughter understand the severity of her actions then yes you did the right thing. I don't think they should let a child volunteer those situations personally.
princeessville
by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM
I agree my daughters love to volunteer and lives the kids they look forward to helping and playing but they also know sometimes the kids don't know how to tell the teachers how they feel so they hit and yell. I'm so. so glad you think about both sides. thanks again

Quoting mom2many747:

Thank you for the appreciation. The last thing I want is for My daughter to think It's Ok to hurt other kids. Even more so, I don't want the kids who are kind enough to take time out of their day to volunteer to become discouraged and give up. Volunteering helps children learn a valuable lesson. I don't want that lesson to turn into "volunteering hurts".

Quoting princeessville:

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Is this a mainstream school or a school for kids with problems?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)