Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need High School Graduation Gift Ideas! EDIT IN RED

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 54 Replies

My stepdaughter is graduating from high school next month. Her birthday is two weeks before graduation. She will have a combination b-day/graduation party. She will be living at home and commuting to college about 20 minutes away so won't need any dorm supplies. She has a car with no payments and we just paid her car insurance. We will be giving her several thousand dollars from her college fund around the time of graduation and she already knows about this.

Should we get separate birthday and graduation gifts? Should we combine and get one larger gift? I need unique ideas. We don't want to hand her more money to just blend in with her college funds. We bought her a laptop and accessories at Christmas. She has a Kindle Fire, IPOD, cell phone, gaming systems, etc. She basically has everything she could need or want. One idea we had was a gas gift card with a nice amount on it so she can get to and from school on it but that's not very exciting and again, would pretty much blend in with the other money.

Help!

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas everybody? Dh and I will discuss and make a decision. You've all been very helpful!

by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aphrodite7400
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

wow those are nice gifts already!  how about a nice piece of jewelry? 

LoveNaCupcake
by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this

This. Maybe a necklace? Or charm bracelette with some charms that represent her accomplishments over the years.

Quoting aphrodite7400:

wow those are nice gifts already!  how about a nice piece of jewelry? 

XJetX
by Resident Heathen on May. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Perhaps a tiara? *eyeroll*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anitarichman
by Anita on May. 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Jewelry?  A nice watch or bracelet or a necklace with her initials.

SterlingHeart
by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM

for her college / birthday --- give her a full day of beauty with you 

late's then mani pedis 

get her hair done -- maybe a new look for her new stage in life

then take her out for a nice outfit to top off the transformation into young adult!!!!  

Val99
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM

How about a nice watch with an engraved thought on the back.  

adulation
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM

My mom always gets a silver coin minted the year of their graduation as a graduation gift...  not really sure how she went about that. 

I would do seperate gifts, both of which are relatively inexpensive since you already gave her a lot to be thankul for.

blondepegasus
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Quoting XJetX:

Yes, she has more than she needs like most kids today but she's a good kid - polite, respectful, beautiful, smart, hard-working and has never had an entitled attitude. She's worked since age 15 while attending school and pays for a lot of her own things (clothing, pocket money, gas, etc.) and is an honors student with straight A's. Sue me for wanting to get her a nice gift!...LOL

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM

You should get her seperate gifts! I remember my graduation year I had three big events June, July, and August...I got money for graduation to buy anything I needed for college. Then my birthday I got money for whatever. Then August I had a baby shower :-/

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Quoting XJetX:

I wouldn't mind getting one for graduation to be honest...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)