Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"I'm Sorry, you're too fat to work here" - weight and the work place

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 1:58 PM
  • 391 Replies
2 moms liked this

Has anyone else had experience with weight discrimination in the work place?

As much as I try and convince myself that 'they' are not hiring because the economy sucks, I cant help but notice a very disheartening trend.

Reverse the clock 10 years. I am 17, young, before becoming a mother and in a size 3. I never had a job that I didnt get hired on the spot for. I would go to the interview.. BAM hired.

7-8 years ago, 1 kid later, in size 15, 30 bls over weight - I would go on interviews, but started experiencing that less and less were calling me back. Even after arriving early in coprorate apparell same style as my "skinny suits" but in my new size and after furthering my education and receiving certifications in various microsoft programs - I was still able to get work, eventhough it tool more work to get the position. After dropping back down into size 11/12, I started noticing that i got called more call backs then before

5/6 years ago - baby #2, size 16.. 40 lbs over weight - same as above, but not i was out searching for work for a year - went to more school, became home health aid finally secured a job. Eventhough it was low paying and very demanding... i was working.

4 years ago - got into accident. broke ankle in 3 places, herniated 3 discs in my lumbar and 3 in my cervical spine. Put out of work for a year to recover - and also gained an additional 20 - 30 lbs from being very inactive.

3 years ago to present - recovered from the accident, but can no longer wear those sky high heels i love. Trying my hardest to drop the weight - flirt between 205 & 195lbs. Went to more school. More skills training. And have been on countless interviews, but in the last 3 years only one has called me back... the pos job i have been stuck at for the last 2 years. Vigorously looking for alternate employment, armed to the teeth with new and improved admin skills & software. Revamped my closet for my size. Keeping that polished corporate image, just in suites size 16-18..... NOTHING. Oh i get the calls to schedule the interviews.. pass the phone interviews with flying colors... once i get my fat ass to the in person interview.. thats it.. bye bye job opportunity. I never hear from them again

I want to believe that its due to the economy.. I want to think that it has nothing to do with going from a skinny mini to a mama body. From going from perky c' cups and 6 pack abs, to 2 kid breast fed slightly droopy dd's and more of a 2 pak of pillow abs.  Still me. Still professional, smart, funny me. nothing has changed other then achieving higher education - to make me more valuable to the workforce... and my size. I am not a skinny mini any more....

What do you think.. Is it my self concenience combined with constant dissappointment deluding my head to think that the reason is due to my physical appearance and it is the job market?

Or have you or some one you know noticed something similar in your own employment endeavors??

IS IT HARDER FOR SOME ONE OVER WEIGHT TO GET HIRED THEN SOME ONE THAT IS THIN

by on May. 16, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabeybaby07
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM

BUMP!

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I can understand why overweight people aren't hired if the weight affects their job performance or there is a safety issue, etc. What kind of job are you looking for?

scperdomo
by on May. 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM
22 moms liked this
In my honest opinion, if you have 2 equally qualified people and one is "better looking" or "thinner", unfortunately i think that person will tend to win out.

Is it right? Hell no. But I do think it happens and I do think it has a lot to do with the job market. With so many people out of work, positions are flooded with qualified applicants, so employers can be picky. It sucks, but it happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unusualmom
by on May. 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM

There is no weight discrimination where I work. Its all on your ability to work.  Hell - all I do is load trucks all morning.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on May. 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I think in careers where weight isn't important is def discrimination. The degree that I got and the career I want when the kids are in school it's kinda expected. It is def harder for someone overweight to get hired, they are seen as a liability.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 16, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry. What about medical transcription?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2013 at 2:07 PM
7 moms liked this

Yes.  I notice that I dress well for work but get talked to about my dress but the size 2 girl in sky high heels and micro mini (btw, against the dress code) is fine.  When i called HR out on it, I get a lot of stumbling and denials.  Oh, I work in a law firm :-)

marinenonstop
by on May. 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Never had an issue. The hiring was done solely on someone's capability to so do the job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM
10 moms liked this

Unfortunately, I think you might be on to something. People discriminate. It's not right but I truly believe it happens. Sorry. Good luck to you though.

robeandslippers
by on May. 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM

People are judgmental they base your weight on how you might preform at work! I worked in some shitty jobs that you would think there would be no discrimination there but there was. If you were an overweight female the male boss would ignore you and not promote you! He would promote the skinny girls, he also made comments about overweight people being slow! I turned him in!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)