Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Old School" parenting, who does it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 528 Replies
5 moms liked this
Me and my brother grew up with what people call "old school" parents and family....meaning when we fucked up REALLY bad, we got our asses HANDED to us. We didn't see it as abuse or anything and we still don't to this day. We only got our butts TORE UP if we did something that we should've been sent to jail for. The rest of the time we just got grounded or couldn't go outside or something like that. But i will say, when we got grounded, she took EVERYTHING out our rooms, i mean nothing was in our rooms but our bed and our dresser lol.

Who got any good stories?

Ok, I'll give you one of mine.....When i was 14, one time i skipped school to hang out with some of the "cool kids" and smoke cigarettes and smoke weed. Well, my next door neighbor saw me and told my mom. So i come home thinking that she didn't know. I walk in the door and she asks in a regular voice, how was school. I said it was fine. She said what you learn today? RIGHT then and there i knew that she knew because she never asked me that before. I just looked at her and she looked, and i knew i was to get my ass TORE the FUCK up. She shut the front door, closed all the curtains, turned the stereo on as loud as it could go, took me to my room, shut that door, pulled down my pants, and she LIT MY ASS UP with the belt. I learned my lesson that day......don't skip class, or learn to be sneakier lol.

One thing i can say about me and my brother is that we've never been in trouble with the law, and didn't start drinking until we were old enough, never even bullied someone. I've never even had a speeding or a parking ticket.

Is there anybody who was raised in an "old school" house hold? Did your parents choice of child rearing become yours? Tell me your brand of disciplinary action.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM
52 moms liked this

nope, I believe you can raise responsible and respectful children without "lighting their ass up"

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 16, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Quoting peanutsmommy1:

nope, I believe you can raise responsible and respectful children without "lighting their ass up"

Ok understandable. What's your brand of disciplinary action?
Ali5683
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I do to a point. I will spank only if necessary and I will raise my voice if necessary but I mainly do time out and taking away of privileges.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Bump
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM

0.o

SterlingHeart
by on May. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM
3 moms liked this

i was raised by HAND also and have swatted my 3 on occasion but it is rare and very called for --- and wasn't excessive.  More like a get their attention deal when they were throwing a major tantrum.   As my kids have aged we opt for non-hands on punishments that hit them smack dab in the middle of their media!!!!  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM
14 moms liked this

I think pulling down a child's pants to spank them (especially a 14 year old) is sexually abuse and nasty !!!!

zeenah
by Zarah on May. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM

No I don't. My dad beat the crap out of us for no reason. Sometimes he was too drunk or high to remember if we were bad. I don't and wont hit my dd because I don't want to be anything like him and don't want dd to be the person I am. 

-"In a mirror we find a reflection of our appearance, but in heart we find reflection of our souls"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM
10 moms liked this

I'm very very very old school. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM
9 moms liked this
Dh and I are ancient according to cm standards (36 & 47). We were raised old school so to speak. We like to tell our kids about how we grew up. Their eyes get big because they cannot believe grandma could be so "mean". Lmao.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)