Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Leaving your kids outside alone?

Posted by   + Show Post

At what age do you let your kids play outside alone and does it matter where you live? I have a five year old son, Abel. I take him out to play often but when I have to go inside, even just for a minute, I make him come with me. We live out in the woods, the main road is about 100 yards away, we park our cars up there and then walk down some wooden steps down a steep hill into the woods and walk on a short path through the woods to get to our trailor. 

We don't have a fence or a real "yard", we just have our little clearing around our trailer and then woods all around us. I'm not worried about people, most people don't even know we're down here, but I do worry about him wandering off or getting into something outside that he shouldn't. My main fear is there is a deep creek down behind our house, its not quite a river but is still a wide deep creek and especially after that little girl just drowned in a creek behind her house, it makes me nervous. 

My husbands mother, my husband isn't my sons biological father but he is a father to him and his mother thinks of him as her own grandchild, says I should back off a little, let him go play in the woods if he wants on his own. She is a great woman and was a great mother to my husband, but shes very laid back and has a different parenting style then what I'm used to, she let him do a lot as a kid that I would never allow. What are your thoughts?

by on May. 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM

i wanna live where you live!

that sounds awesome. i hate living in the city.

if you were going in the house just for a few minutes i wouldnt bring him inside with you, i would be slightly worried about the creek though

BlessedChaos
by on May. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
My 4&6 year old play in our fenced backyard as long as the dog is back there with them.
highlandmum
by Spunky on May. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine is outside right now, I can hear him and four other boys playing street hockey.  He is 7.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM

are they going to be allowed out to the mall/movies etc.. when theyre teenages without you being around?

Quoting Tigress22304:

my children will not be left alone outside until they're 18 and out of my house!!

call me overprotective-idgaf

too many crazy asses around

just last summer in our town alone there were 3 reports of attempted kidnappings of children walkin home from school

5 from my home town in the last year!

If there's no adult to supervise-they stay in the house

mom4awesomekids
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM

My son will be 10 in July and he plays outside alone but we live in a small town with like 250 people and it's safe around here and he's mature for his age.....my 5 year old and 4 year old no way.

MiSs.SmOkEy
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM
DD, 3, and DS, 5, are allowed to play in the back yard alone but its fenced and has a padlock on the gate. Tho lately we have been not allowing it because the trashy neighbor next door swears at my 3yr old and she doesn't open her fat mouth if I'm out there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM
When we lived on base we let the boys play in the park right outside the houses with the neighborhood kids... then DS2 got into trouble so we had to stop that. He was almost 9 at the time I think. We don't allow them to play outside alone here, but we live in a large apartment complex so I don't think it's as safe.
Tigress22304
by on May. 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

are they going to be allowed out to the mall/movies etc.. when theyre teenages without you being around?

Quoting Tigress22304:

my children will not be left alone outside until they're 18 and out of my house!!

call me overprotective-idgaf

too many crazy asses around

just last summer in our town alone there were 3 reports of attempted kidnappings of children walkin home from school

5 from my home town in the last year!

If there's no adult to supervise-they stay in the house

my dd no because she's special needs/nonverbal

my stepkids? thats on their father.

I know BM allows sd12 to run all over town unsupervised bt that's her choice-when the kids are with us-they cant go out alone

Texa5
by on May. 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM

It would depend on the maturity of the child, but I couldn't see myself allowing my 5 year old to wander around in the woods alone. Maybe if he knew how to operate a walkie talkie...

mybabiesmama916
by on May. 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM

WTF she wants you to let a 5 year old go play in the woods.. Seriously??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)