Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does anyone have a gifted kid!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 77 Replies
Today I got a note that my 9 year old son was referred for a gifted and talented enrichment studies program. It says it serves the needs of children with demonstrated high performance in a certain area. He has to take an iq test
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Just FYI I don't know if my child is gifted or not lol
Pnukey
by Jenn on May. 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Yes, I have two of them. I was identified as gifted myself, but my school didn't have a program when I was a kid. My kids both participate in extra activities and enrichment classes at school.

coala
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I do.  She hasn't been tested....I don't know if they can test them at 4, but she is about 2 years above her peers academically.  It can be a tough road. 

Honestly I don't think we may ever have her tested.  We will work with what we have and enjoy her for who she is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM
I do. It's tough because he's a twice exceptional kid. He's 5 and tested in the 98th percentile across the board at the beginning of kindergarten except in speech where he was off the charts high.
Annettey19
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
This is CM. Prepare for lots of responses. Lol.

Btw mine is not. He actually lags behind a little. That would be cool if your son got in the program!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Dd is in 1st, she was tested. Her IQ is 119, she needed 134 to get in. They plan to test her next year. A boy in K was tested, he got in the program. I think that's impressive.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I thought IQ didnt change. You have to meet 3 out of 5 qualifications. He has 2 (gpa and teacher referral). The other 3 are tests he has yet to take

Quoting Anonymous:

Dd is in 1st, she was tested. Her IQ is 119, she needed 134 to get in. They plan to test her next year. A boy in K was tested, he got in the program. I think that's impressive.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I'm wondering if they send the application to everyone.  It says his teacher referred him but I don't know if she referred everyone lol.  He is above average in speech and vocabulary I know, but I never noticed anything else. 

Quoting Pnukey:

Yes, I have two of them. I was identified as gifted myself, but my school didn't have a program when I was a kid. My kids both participate in extra activities and enrichment classes at school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Hopefully everyone will be honest lol.  I have 3 kids and I honestly never expected to get this note.  They all seem average to me.  The youngest may even have delays.

Quoting Annettey19:

This is CM. Prepare for lots of responses. Lol.

Btw mine is not. He actually lags behind a little. That would be cool if your son got in the program!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome.

My DD is in 1st grade, reading on a 6th grade level. They don't start G/T programs until next year for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)