Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have a gifted kid!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Today I got a note that my 9 year old son was referred for a gifted and talented enrichment studies program. It says it serves the needs of children with demonstrated high performance in a certain area. He has to take an iq test
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Replies (71-77):
aprilz1225
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:37 AM

my son will be in advanced learning for 2nd grade. 

shymomof4
by Kristyn on May. 17, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I have one daughter in academically gifted classes. My other 2 daughters are average. My son I believe has the potential to be a.g. But they don't test until 3rd grade. He is in second.
lancet98
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM

EVERYONE has a gifted kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I would say this is definitely right on, generally speaking. Yes, my brother was also a high achiever when he was young, and then...sometime in high school he just started to coast. Perhaps he was bored??? IDK. In college, he coasted, but his SATs scores were high as were his GREs- although his grades didn't reflect it, KWIM? In graduate school, he really started to care about his grades and gradauted no 1 with another girl from his class. Inherently smart but in his case (not in the case of your children), he is self admittedly lazy. LOL. Just now, in his 30's, and kind of by dumb luck did he start something and have it pay off. We always knew he had an entrepreneurial spirit about him, and finally that came through.

He's very different from everyone else in our family- all who are "smart" and high acheivers, but his mind is way beyond what ours can do. Just wired differently, really.

I bet you are just amazed by your children everyday!!!! If they keep focus and have enough to challenge them, hopefully they will never get bored or complacent. :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

I read once that it's not intelligence that makes a person successful, it's their ability to take risks. Generally an individual with a "lower IQ" is willing to take more personal risks then an individual with a "higher IQ." 

I believe that to be true because most individuals I know who are self made or successful don't fit into the same Intelligence bracket as someone like Einstein. 

I also think many with high intelligence "coast" through life because they don't have to try. Fortunately both of my children (at this point) are high achievers but I know that as they grow that can and likely will change depending upon their personality. 

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Oh, no biggie. It was my brother who tested into GATE about a hundred years ago using the ol' IQ test. My son is not gifted- just "regular" so I have no idea how it's done now...

A high IQ is great and all, but I also think a person who doesn't test super high can be extremely successful with hard work and perseverance. Also, many gifted children tend to be under-achievers. My brother was for a long time until his mid-30's. A total late bloomer in many respects. He coasted by because he could, KWIM?

Personally, I wouldn't know what that's like- to "coast" by- ha ha ha ha ha. I always had to work harder than he did, but I ended up being more conscientious about my school work. Maybe it was just different personalities. Who knows?

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood. I read a lot on here that parents say their children had an IQ test done, so I am assuming that it's still done. I wouldn't trust that sort of testing for entry into a gifted program. 

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Oh, I am not disagreeing with you at all. It has been said that IQ tests are often not a good reflection of intelligence. A lot has changed since my brother and I were tested. We are 36 and nearly 38 years old, respectively. I was just pointing out that that's how they used to do it. Not sure how they do it now. :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand that's how it was done and it was how I was tested in the 90's as well. 

I was pointing out that it's a myth and isn't an accurate measure of intelligence, it never was. 

Quoting Leobaby2007:

That's how they determined it back in the late 80's and for us, it turned out to be accurate. My brother tested as gifted (IQ of over 140) and I tested as smart (132), but not like him, which was fine. IDK how they test for it now...

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, both of  my children are. 

You know that IQ testing has been proven to be a myth. I wouldn't trust any program still using it as a measure of intelligence. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I know- it seems that way, but so far, I can say that I do not, and that's OK with me- I mean what can I do about it? You either are or aren't, KWIM? I only have the one child, though...maybe if I had had more- who knows?

Quoting lancet98:

EVERYONE has a gifted kid.

dorfmama
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM
My 3rd daughter is in the gifted program at her school. She scored very high on some standardized testing & the school guidance counselor called to talk to me about it. Honestly, I was all but crying. It was not a call I ever expected to get. My daughter had severe speech problems & had just gotten to the point of being age appropriate. She was also in title 1 reading just a few months before. Although she was already reading above grade level at that point. She was tested by the school psychologist & met the requirements for the gifted program. She will always be in it as her IQ will not change. She goes with the gifted teacher all day every 6 school days. When she goes to middle school, she'll have a class period every day with the gifted teacher. They do some amazing, fun things. Right now, they are making commercials for a cereal each child created. She wrote the commercial, designed the cereal box, etc. The teacher comes up with some great ways to use math, language arts, science, etc in really neat ways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Yes my 7 year old tested into the gifted program. He has also been invited to a summer enrichment program at a state college.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured