Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Edit* Vaccine reaction - they said this was normal? Update

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM
  • 310 Replies

Mobile Photo

Look at his left arm. It is swollen, red, and warm. I took him to the doctor and they said it was normal

Edit - just because I see some of the same questions. He had the Tdap and MMrV shots on Tuesday. He has never had a reaction before. He has also never had the combined MMrV shot, I always made them give him them separate due to the big increased risk of febrile seizure. I figured he was past that so let them do it combined

Yes, I know redness, a knot, swelling, and even warmth are normal at the injection site. However, his whole arm is red, swollen, and hot from his elbow up to almost his shoulder

We are back at the doctor now, a different one

Sorry it took me so long to update. His arm is a bit more swollen and red today. The doctor today said that she is convinced it is a reaction to the vaccine but not 100% sure, it could also be cellulitis. The rash does not start at the injection sites but does start right below them. She said that yes, reactions are normal but one of this size is not common. He is clearly allergic to it. His rash is still hot but does not hurt, only itches. They gave him a bigger dose of benadryl and some ibuprofen. They traced his rash to see if it grows more. If it grows more we have to go back. Being that it has been 3 days and still growing causes concern. They want to keep cellulitis in mind but do not feel it is cellulitis due to him not having a fever and it not hurting.

Pics from this morning are on page 21

by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Mobile Photo

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Mobile Photo

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Mobile Photo

lucydiamond
by LD on May. 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM
It's normal.
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Mobile Photo

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

kcangel63
by Freebirther on May. 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Of the ones I had vaccinated, none have had swelling like that. Maybe try an ice pack and some Tylenol.
Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM
4 moms liked this
It is normal. Just keep massaging it and use warn compresses.
LClark1973
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Maybe some ibuprophin to help reduce the swelling, and some ice. Does he say it hurts mama? 

AjsMom0508
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
What vaccine?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)