Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

charter school vs. regular/public school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies
the town i live in has a horrible public school system. one of the tops worst in the country. my son will be starting kindergarten this coming school yr. our town recently started a charter school in the last four years. i went to the orientation today and i have mixed feelings. first off they have no holiday parties or gym class. no music class. no after school care for grade school kids. which could be an issue in the future possibly. they have school until june 21. they have very good test scores and are very involved with teaching each kid individually and we will get weekly report cards. my son is very athletic, sounds dumb cause he is young, but he really is and numerous people comment on it and i would like him to be involved in sports and music at schoool. im very torn because i want the best and best education for him. any thought? we dont plan on staying in this town forever so maybe ill try it? sorry for typos
Posted by Anonymous on May. 17, 2013 at 2:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JP-StrongForTwo
by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:39 AM

If you can get a good charter school they can be great!! But there are some cons to charter schools as well. Especially if you get a bad one like we did once. 

• There are lots of ideas out there on building a better school. Some of them are good, some of them are not. New programs come with a set of risks that are often difficult to discern.
  • Charter schools normally do not receive 100 percent of the funding per student that traditional public schools receive. Financial viability is often a major issue with charter operations.
  • Charter schools are often political footballs; they are not approved in all states, and some states impose arbitrary rules on charters, making operation and long-term viability questionable. For example, California changed charter laws a few years ago in the middle of the school year and removed funds from some schools, leaving families scrambling to enroll in a new program.
  • Charters are not always constrained by state laws requiring teaching credentials. This can result in teachers who are not well qualified for the job. On the other hand, many are exceptional teachers who have not run the gauntlet of state credentialing. The problem is that there are no objective criteria for assessing a teacher's suitability for the classroom.
  • Not all charters use standardized testing to measure academic progress. This makes it difficult to measure their effectiveness against other alternatives. On the other hand, many charters cater to the neediest students and so start at a disadvantage with respect to standardized tests. It's important to know the difference between a school hesitant to be measure and a school that is being measured from a disadvantaged position.
want10more
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 2:43 AM

my 2 kids (stepkids, technically) were in charter schools. yes they could be all different, but my 14 yr old can't do multiplication tables, tell time or use a phone book. now THIS was an opinion. FACT is: i sent for kid's records, they didn't keep them. i'd not like my kid in a school w/o music. i guess ya got to do the research for yourself........ i had a bad experience, that doesn't mean you have to have one too........!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM
i know i was a little upset when they say they "dont have time" for sports , are you serious and i think music is very important too. so hard i just want my son to learn

Quoting want10more:

my 2 kids (stepkids, technically) were in charter schools. yes they could be all different, but my 14 yr old can't do multiplication tables, tell time or use a phone book. now THIS was an opinion. FACT is: i sent for kid's records, they didn't keep them. i'd not like my kid in a school w/o music. i guess ya got to do the research for yourself........ i had a bad experience, that doesn't mean you have to have one too........!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM
bump
buttercup627
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd rather my kids have a good education then fun ecs. You can always look at other organizations for sports and music but learning is important
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM

gym class is not "sports."  If you want him in sports, you'll have to do that on your own anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM
well, when i was in grade school we learned how to play all sports. we played softball, tennis, bowling, football, soccer...you name it we played it. i think that is important too, gym class is important and middle and high school DOES have sports you can be in. my son. was in softball this summer but i think them saying there is no time for activity is weird.

Quoting Anonymous:

gym class is not "sports."  If you want him in sports, you'll have to do that on your own anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

if your kid made it to 14 not knowing those things, don't blame it all on the school.  That's all taught in 1st-3rd grade.  where have you been the last 5 years?  You should have said something long ago

Quoting want10more:

BlessedChaos
by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM
My kids are in a charter school. We do sports through the town rec and music and theater through a program at church.
BlessedChaos
by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM
But they do have choir and gym at school too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured