Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How In The Hell Does This Happen?

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 9 Replies

http://www.wtae.com/news/local/allegheny/offduty-officer-revives-boy-found-not-breathing-in-minigolf-pond/-/10927008/20187126/-/ihjcir/-/index.html

I'm sorry I don't know how to make things clickable-but the gist is a child who is not even 3 yet "some how fell" into a mini golf pond.  By the time an off duty police officer finds him he is "nearly lifeless" and had to be revived.

Now I'm not a helicopter parent and allow my 20 month old more freedom than most of the little friends he has.  However, I can promise you if my child "fell" into a pond at a mini golf course I'd know it IMMEDIATELY!

For full disclosure-this was a foster child, and while I"m not bashing foster parents I can't help but wonder if that didn't come into play here-for otherwise how do you lose track of your almost 3 year old to this degree? 

by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM

My nephew could get out of any locked door or window and out of the house like Houdini.  My sister could be in the bathroom, you know you have to go sometime and he'd suddenly be at my door. I lived a few doors down. Thankfully he came to me. However, she is a good Mom and even had a bolt put on, like a monkey he figured out to literally climb the wall and undo it.  Some kids can.  You never know from a news story.  My sister has no drug or alchol issues, paid attention and watched him like a hawk. She did have to use the bathroom on occasion and do other stuff besides being velcroed to her.

ETA: He is now 10.  He knows better now than to leave without permission.

supercarp
by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Poor kid

danijean
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Egh I'm not a helicopter parents but I knOw where my kids are at all times. How sad. You mentioned it was a foster parent maybe they have to many kids to care for? How sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikandwheezy
by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM

kids are sneaky. when i was 2 i ran away. me and my brothers were paying baseball with my dad. i was on 2nd base and my dad was pitching. so when he turned around i snuck off into the woods. i ended up crossing the main road in our town (very busy) 2 miles away from my house.  they had the cops and the whole neighborhood looking for me. 

Mommy2b2many
by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Thats so sad. I'm glad he's okay. And I'm sure they were occupied with the other kids. Unfortunately things happen... and kids can be so fast and sneaky! I'm more suprised that it ttok so long for ANYONE to notice a flailing kid in a pond

www.wtae.com/news/local/allegheny/offduty-officer-revives-boy-found-not-breathing-in-minigolf-pond/-/10927008/20187126/-/ihjcir/-/index.html

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I think that is my issue--not that he got away, heck I've chased my 20 month old through Wal-Mart-it happens.  My question is how in the hell does a child get away for that period of time and NO ONE notice it?

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

Thats so sad. I'm glad he's okay. And I'm sure they were occupied with the other kids. Unfortunately things happen... and kids can be so fast and sneaky! I'm more suprised that it ttok so long for ANYONE to notice a flailing kid in a pond

www.wtae.com/news/local/allegheny/offduty-officer-revives-boy-found-not-breathing-in-minigolf-pond/-/10927008/20187126/-/ihjcir/-/index.html

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Neglectful parents, that's how it happens.

Kklstef
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Your OP suggests that the off-duty cop found him in the pond, but the article I read states that the cop first saw him in the arms of the screaming woman. Given that the boy was revived and is now recovering, I do not think he was in the pond/out of sight as long as your OP implies.

The fact that he was a foster child may mean that the foster mom (who I think is the aunt) is still adjusting to having an extra child around. Kids move quickly, it sounds like she was distraught, and it kind of saddens me that people's first reaction is to point out their superior/her inferior parenting skills.
Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I disagree--this child is under 3, if you're "still adjusting" to having an extra child--be it a foster parent, a relative, or a new Mom with a new baby and a 3 year old you are still accountable for your parenting skills especially when a child is injured. 

Tomorrow I will have 3 kids-I'm used to having one, so what my 20 month old falls in a pond and I shouldn't have my parenting ability questioned?  Absolutely I should.  Kids have accidents, no doubt, no matter how good a parent you are--but this was simple neglect that it ever was allowed to happen--and given that this is a foster parent situation if I were the case worker in our county I would pull their license.

Quoting Kklstef:

Your OP suggests that the off-duty cop found him in the pond, but the article I read states that the cop first saw him in the arms of the screaming woman. Given that the boy was revived and is now recovering, I do not think he was in the pond/out of sight as long as your OP implies.

The fact that he was a foster child may mean that the foster mom (who I think is the aunt) is still adjusting to having an extra child around. Kids move quickly, it sounds like she was distraught, and it kind of saddens me that people's first reaction is to point out their superior/her inferior parenting skills.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)