Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dumpster Diving 4 Coupons (Pic)

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM
  • 48 Replies

Mobile Photo

I know, I know....

1) save LOTS of money
2) diving in recycle bins, not full trash bins

But I just cannot help but cringe at the sight of it. DUDE!!! It is TRASH!!!

Why I probably will never do it:

1) time consuming
2) too much organization needed to keep up with the coupon "bible"
3) where would I store everything, and can I REALLY consume that much cereal?
4) it's still diving in dirty bins

Anyone have anything else to add to the pro/con list?

Do you do it? Do you focus on specific products, or everything? How many hours a week do you spend doing it?

This pic was taken at my local PO. These folks are always here on Sat & Sun evenings.
by on May. 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.strawberry.
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2013 at 7:14 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't know about diving for coupons but I urge you to watch the documentary Dive! (on Netflix). It's about a guy that dumpster dives and the stuff he pulls from the trash is BEFORE expiration. We throw away half the food we produce in this country. I really changed my stance on dumpster diving after seeing that film.
BestestMom11
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I have Netflix, and will totally check it out.

I almost associate the whole coupon thing with hoarding. Do you really NEED 20 tubes of toothpaste, or 10 boxes of cereal?

I wonder about expiration dates on stuff. How do people use all of the stuff before expy date?

Quoting .strawberry.:

I don't know about diving for coupons but I urge you to watch the documentary Dive! (on Netflix). It's about a guy that dumpster dives and the stuff he pulls from the trash is BEFORE expiration. We throw away half the food we produce in this country. I really changed my stance on dumpster diving after seeing that film.

quinnsmom715
by Donna on May. 18, 2013 at 7:20 PM

i watched extreme couponing.some hoarded dog food..but had no dogs.i was  like give it to a dog shelter.but no,it has to be in their perfect hoard..ive seen diapers with no kids,feminine hygiene products when theyve had a hysterectomy.they just want it.100 bottle of laundry detergent?why?

KME3
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM
My daughter calls me a trash picker... I see something that I can use by someone's trash I take it... You have no idea what wealthy people throw out... Cabinet to store my DVDs, my daughters tv with remote, a dora doll house with batteries still in it..all perfectly functioning with little to no wear and tear... Things that are actually in good condition that can go be donated just thrown out...messed up.
KME3
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I may not pick for coupons but it is still dumpster diving ... Half the crap I find sell or donate...
.strawberry.
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I think of it as hoarding as well. But someone with a big family might go through a ton of toothpaste (for example) so they could really go through the stock pile.  At my house the stuff would last years.  There are also some people that donate the stuff or use it for Church, at least on the coupon show there was. Most of the stuff they get is super processed so I would have no use for it.

Quoting BestestMom11:

I almost associate the whole coupon thing with hoarding. Do you really NEED 20 tubes of toothpaste, or 10 boxes of cereal?

I wonder about expiration dates on stuff. How do people use all of the stuff before expy date?

Quoting .strawberry.:

BestestMom11
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM
True.

I watched a documentary on it where a dude donated stuff to shelters. For him, it was all about the rush at the register when he only had to pay 20 cents. I have no issues with that, and I applaud him for it.

Quoting quinnsmom715:

i watched extreme couponing.some hoarded dog food..but had no dogs.i was  like give it to a dog shelter.but no,it has to be in their perfect hoard..ive seen diapers with no kids,feminine hygiene products when theyve had a hysterectomy.they just want it.100 bottle of laundry detergent?why?

BestestMom11
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM
That is part of my problem too....the stuff that I want and use never has a coupon.

I just spent 200.00 for the week at Whole Foods. Sadly, no coupons.

Quoting .strawberry.:

I think of it as hoarding as well. But someone with a big family might go through a ton of toothpaste (for example) so they could really go through the stock pile.  At my house the stuff would last years.  There are also some people that donate the stuff or use it for Church, at least on the coupon show there was. Most of the stuff they get is super processed so I would have no use for it.

Quoting BestestMom11:

Quoting .strawberry.:

BestestMom11
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM
I guess if you're in the right area... The nice houses where I live are generally gated, and there is no access to their stuff.

Quoting KME3:

My daughter calls me a trash picker... I see something that I can use by someone's trash I take it... You have no idea what wealthy people throw out... Cabinet to store my DVDs, my daughters tv with remote, a dora doll house with batteries still in it..all perfectly functioning with little to no wear and tear... Things that are actually in good condition that can go be donated just thrown out...messed up.

itzmyzoo
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I coupon, but not to that extreme! I pick several of whatever is on sale and I have a coupon for, but not a ton. If figure there will always be another sale!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN