Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Proper names for "private parts"?

Posted by   + Show Post
Do you teach your children the proper names for their's? I've been talking to DS (3) about the other name for his "peepee". He's now in the bath yelling "penis...PENIS...PEENIS...PEEENNNIISSS!" I think this may have backfired a little lol
by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (211-220):
hspear
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM

DS is too young, and someone at BM's house apparently taught SD about the proper names around a year ago because she suddenly started drawing and labeling anatomically correct diagrams in her drawing book lol. For a while she wouldn't call them anything other than penis or vagina, but I finally got her back to the "nice names" that we use in our house (privates, girl parts/boy parts, etc. - this was tricky since I was the one who had to teach her about the difference between boys and girls when she saw me changing her little brother's diaper one day and asked the natural question: "What's that???" lol).

I've told her penis and vagina are the ACTUAL names, but to be nice we say the other names.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on May. 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Vagina and penis. I call it the occasional nickname, but I will teach them those. NO, I will NOT call it a vulva. When my daughter is older she can learn all the intricacies, but no political correctness from me. I don't even like the word vulva. Lol. It's well known and has been for ages, that as a whole, people call it the vagina, just to make it simple. GET OVER IT. Haha

Cherriemama831
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I have to lil girls 5 and 8 . We have always called it gina. They know now the proper name is Vagina yea they laugh when u use the proper name . They know a boys part is called a penis. My oldest told me she thought it was called a peanut HAHAHA but anyways i think it just depends ive worked with kids forever and i have heard alot of differnt names for it . Ur son will get over it its just a new word he learned no worries

NewMamaBoo
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Twinkie? Lol 

ummcarter
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM

LOL He's just getting a reaction. I actually feel strongly that we should teach all children the proper names and normally i am a eh whatever works in your family kinda person. 

Kids don't always walk up to their parents to tell them thgat they were abused, they might tell a relitive stranger. If Little Talut walks up to his ocasional babysitter and says Uncle Moe touched my fluffy, how is she gona know that means penis? She might say "Oh thats nice, go play now."  If Little Talut walks up and say Uncle Moe touched my penis she is going to know enough to look into this. 

ummcarter
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:24 AM

My son calls it a penis and if baby turns out to be a girl I will teach her that the outside is called labia the inside vagina. LOL yet again boys are simpler. BTW About 6 months ago my son learned the name for mommy blood and kept saying Mom are you on your PERIOD? Lol 

RENEE0519
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM

It should be called a Vagina not a Vulva, I mean really

Sandles
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I called my daughters "parts" her girl parts and boys have boy parts!  I never did feel comfortable with calling them vagina and penis.  

musicpisces
by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Penis and vagina.  And I agree that the novelty will wear off shortly.  Don't stress, mama!  =)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on May. 20, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Proper names here... but we use silly ones to...
When my sister was about 3 she got bad yeast infections.. she once told my mom "mommaa my virgin nana hurts" were Hispanic and nana = grandma so we had a pretty good laugh cuz nana was far from a virgin.. but it stuck and my dd is 11/2 and says nana-wawa when she needs to pee... potty training...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)