Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Proper names for "private parts"?

Posted by   + Show Post
Do you teach your children the proper names for their's? I've been talking to DS (3) about the other name for his "peepee". He's now in the bath yelling "penis...PENIS...PEENIS...PEEENNNIISSS!" I think this may have backfired a little lol
by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (61-70):
SlightlyPerfect
Including your children...
Today at 6:54 AM
by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Are you serious? I think vagina is an awesome word!

Quoting svolkov:

As they get older yes. We usually say piska(russian for private parts lol) I say girl parts. Because seriously vagina is the ugliest damn word on earth. Yes they kniw its actually called a vagina. We just usually use other words

slightlyperfect

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM
They know the real names, but we say wee wee and tuti when they are young.
Pnukey
by Jenn on May. 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Yes, they know them, but don't use them regularly, except penis.

Dollyrot
by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I hatehatehateHATE weird pet names for body parts. I mean, if someone wants to teach their daughter that her vulva should be called a cookie, that's their own choice,but not for me or mine. I taught my boys from day one they have penises. And if i ever have a daughter she will know what she has, too. Peepee, woowoo, all of those, to me, are ridiculous. Why should we sugar-coat their own anatomy? Should we make special names for arms, legs, and tongues as well?
stephiebugg
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Somehow in conversation, I misheard DH and I said "Did you say foreskin?" He didn't, but my 5 year old heard us. For the next ten minutes, she was running around the house screaming "foreskin foreskin foreskin!"
Oh my.

On that note, my kids refer to everything in their pants as their butt. I've mentioned that it's their privates, so maybe I can get them to call it that.
I'm of the mindset that there is more than just a vagina down there, so calling the whole thing a vagina bothers me. It's like calling your arm an elbow. It's only one part of it.
I suppose I could teach them vulva.

Destiny907
by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Nothing wrong with using the silly names for privates when they are really really little.    Nothing wrong with it at all. Time enough for proper names when they get to be school age.  

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this
My 4 year old thinks its hilarious to tell people that she came out of my vagina. She also recently learned that boys have penises and girls have Vaginas. Sometimes, in public, she will say "he has a penis, right mommy? And she has a vagina.". "Yes, honey, but we probably shouldn't discuss it at the grocery store." That's why I let them say tuti and wee wee, too. That can sometimes be passed off as kid babble, but there is no mistaking what penis and vagina means. Lol

Quoting almondpigeon:

That's funny. My oldest daughter was almost 3 when I was pregnant with her younger brother. She would tell people, "my mama has a baby in her belly...when it comes out, it will squeeze out of her VAGINA. Isn't that crazy?!"

Quoting wyomom4:

When my niece first figured out that boys are different and had a penis, she asked everyone she saw if they had a penis... even strangers. LOL I thought my sister would die from embarassment.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on May. 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I use the proper terms. I had to stick up for my oldest when he was in kindy because his teacher sent him to the office when he told her that his penis hurt (he had a UTI, we found out). He ended up in no trouble and the teacher was told that kids can use the proper names as long as it is in a proper context (well, no shit).

pregnancy

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM

my kids know the proper names for all their body parts, however, we dont use them, we prefer to call our toes piggets, our stomachs stoodys and so on

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

We call it a pee pee and boobies although they know the proper terminology this is what we still call them.  They were taught probably around kindergarten the proper terminology.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)