Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel guilty for leaving my child with a caretaker while I am NOT at work (every week) UPDATE!!

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM
  • 113 Replies

I should not feel guilty  I know-sometimes I don't but I also do-like I should be there caring for my child when I am not at work-

This is the situation-my Adult Child has extensive special needs-we receive care while I am at work (I work part-time) and we just started receiving care on the Weekends-only morning (to get ready for the day) and evenings (to get ready for the night)

Yesterday-in the morning while care taker was here I went and got ready for rummage sale at church-I felt guilty not being home for my son

Last night-when caretaker was there I went to the store to buy stuff and got an icecream and husband and I chilled out by the lake for a few minutes-I felt guilty for not getting my son ready for bed

I know I should not but I have done the care of my child for years without any help on the weekends- I felt guilty

UPDATE- Thank you Ladies for being so kind, caring, and understanding!!
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM

BUMP!

xomrs.chase
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is 17mo and my mom takes him once a week so I can deep clean and relax a little. Dont feel guilty. Every parent needs a break.
lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks-I just have had him for years by ourselves-so this is weird to me

Quoting xomrs.chase:

My son is 17mo and my mom takes him once a week so I can deep clean and relax a little. Dont feel guilty. Every parent needs a break.

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM

That is awesome your mom does that!

Quoting xomrs.chase:

lovemysnugbugs
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this
You need time to yourself too. I can't tell you not to feel guilty because you can't help how you feel, but there's nothing wrong with letting someone else help put so you can do your own thing for a little while.
lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Quoting lovemysnugbugs:

You need time to yourself too. I can't tell you not to feel guilty because you can't help how you feel, but there's nothing wrong with letting someone else help put so you can do your own thing for a little while.

Thank you! I need this!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM
24 moms liked this

Care for Special needs Adults is not cheap. It wouldn't be covered unless the governement felt it was necessary.  Respite from the constant burden of care makes you a better care giver and parent. Which is the entire point of the respite care. So use it as it was intended and throw away the guilt. Respite makes you a better Mom-not a worse one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM
i dont think you should feel guilty about that. caring for a child is alot of work, special needs children are even more work, and you are still caring for your child as an adult. you deserve a break every now and then, even if its just a run to the grocery store. because you feel bad about these things tells me you are a good momma
lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Thank you and I know that -it is just a mom of an adult child with special needs feeling-

Quoting Anonymous:

Care for Special needs Adults is not cheap. It wouldn't be covered unless the governement felt it was necessary.  Respite from the constant burden of care makes you a better care giver and parent. Which is the entire point of the respite care. So use it as it was intended and throw away the guilt. Respite makes you a better Mom-not a worse one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 19, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

How about thinking off it in another way. Had you, solely, continued on meeting the needs of your child, eventually you would become mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted. You then become ill because of that. What would be the outcome then? More than likely, your child be taken care of elsewhere 24/7 as a result.
What you are doing now is to prevent that becoming a possibility.
Before you take care of anyone else, you need to look after yourself first to enable you to carry on your responsibilities for as long as necessary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN