Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

who decides dinner?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm a SAHM to three and expecting our 4th in approx 5 weeks. My dh works long hours outdoors so I get that he's exhausted and wants dinner on the table when he gets home. I TRY to do this for him however, he doesn't work a set schedule so he doesn't come home at the same time every evening...though I usually aim for about 5pm. I usually plan and have dinner made or get it delivered by this time every weeknight but on the weekends I EXPECT his input. He doesn't work weekends and he usually has his own opinions about what he wants or doesn't want.
Am I supposed to plan, cook, serve and clean up EVERY NIGHT?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
halleys_mommy_1
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM
I will sometimes give dh a choice of 2 meals. But its always somrthing i feel like cooking. If he doesnt like it then he can cook
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1L2CMommy
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I'm a SAHM, DH works 4, 10 hour, third shifts a week, plus usually overtime.  I plan cook, serve and clean up every meal.  On his days off I may tell him what I am thinking about making, and if he suggests something else, we'll have what he wants.  He never "expects" me to do anything.  I enjoy doing it for him, and our family.  I kinda figured it was part of my job description as a wife and mother, and having the time to do it that he doesn't.  I can't imagine how tired you are chasing 3, and pregnant.  We have 2 toddlers, and they are kicking my butt.  Maybe you could try some simple, easy meals until after the baby is born.  I use my crock 2-3 times a week, more if I'm feeling lazy, something sounds good, or I am busy.  It's a lifesaver.  I even saw a recipe for baked potatoes in the crock!

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I cook therefore I decide the menu.  When he cooks he decides.  Also whomever cooks is the one who cleans up while the other takes care of our toddler.

FL2AK
by on May. 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM
I ask for input when I am meal planning and making the grocery list. That way there is no guessing as to what we are going to have for dinner.
Shari55
by on May. 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM

We decide as a family, the younger girls take turns cleaning the kitchen. On Saturday my husband cooks breakfast and dinner. Sunday's is what we call "fiend for yourself night", which is basically clean out the refrig night. 

My Second career, Babysitter/Nanny,Teacher..self employed at last

Shari

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on May. 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Ill text or call him but if he has no idea then I cook what sounds good to the kids and I
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM
I want be much help on this one my dh works out of town. I plan the meals,cook and serve. I will say when he is in town he does do some of the cooking.
Chirinos
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM
I'm a single mom of 2 boys ages 8 and 10 about 2 days a week I do kids choice where the boys get to choose what they would like me to cook.
poohbearkfc
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM
My husband usually will take one day on the weekend and cook or take care of everything for that day other than that he is not usually picky so I make what I have or want. Works for us.
RigPrincess85
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I plan it all but when I make my weekly menu and groceries I ask him if he's okay with it or if he wants something in particular :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)