Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too many Trips to the er with kids?

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM
  • 63 Replies

I've taken my kids to the er a few times, probably not more than six though between the three of them.  In fact I avoid taking my kids to the doctor at all unless its absolutely necessary.  I don't get why some parents can't seem to get what an er is really for.  It is an "emergency" room.

as a manager of a restaurant I am always getting these ER notes for kids for things they didn't even need to go for.  Low grade fevers, rash, things that aren't emergencies.

I guess it may be more attractive to some to err on the side of caution but seeing as how I usually contract more sickness from sitting in a germy waiting room waiting to be seen than anywhere else.

does anyone eLse feel like parents over use the er?  I get irritated when my kids have to wait behind 30 kids with hiccups LOL.

update.  My point was that I didn't understand why people use ers instead of just going to a clinic when an er visit is CLEARLY not warranted.

i wasn't implying all parent overuse the er I was simply stating some parents get so up in arms that the first sign of distress they run into the emergency room, subsequently missing work and bogging down the er with unnecessary patients and in some cases, wasting tax dollars to the extreme.

by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Here you have a choice- doctor or ER. If the doctor is closed or booked up then you go to the ER. Our ER acts as a walk in clinic as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Many people don't have insurance or a primary care provider. They won't see you at a regular office for stuff like that if you don't have insurance a lot of the time. An er has to see you regardless.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 19, 2013 at 7:32 PM
2 moms liked this

those parents who overuse the ER most likely don't have health insurance and that is part of the reason I pay a ton of money in premiums for my private insurance . NO ONE should be going for minor problems, but if you get it for free, I can see how it is abused.   I only take my dd to the ER for emergencies(one time she had symptoms of a stroke at age 13, that was an emergency).  Our copay is 150 for ER visits.

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Quoting bowribbonmama:

Here you have a choice- doctor or ER. If the doctor is closed or booked up then you go to the ER. Our ER acts as a walk in clinic as well.

Our's too.

It has 2 doors. One for ER, the other for a 24 hour fast track health clinic.

I went to the dr today but not to the ER. I had to get some prescriptions fixed.

Don't sweat the petty things;Don't pet the sweaty things!

JeanPatrick
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Some pediatrician offices direct the people to go to the ER because they are not open for extended hours.  We picked a pediatrician that has evening and weekend hours.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Now I take dd to the after hour clinics for children/teens.  They take our insurance and the co pay is lower than the ER.  IT is called emergency pediatrics and it is open to anyone up to age 21 when regular doctor offices are closed.

Texascandee
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I used to work in an ER and we did see some stupid things come in.........sneezing, coughing, runny nose and it's always at the time when the dr office is closed.  I think parents used the ER because they didn't have insurance to go to a DR but I am not going to judge what a parent thinks is an emergency.  We actually had a repeat "customer" that came in one time because she nicked her leg shaving........yep, true story

lenashark
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I've only taken my son twice, I only go for real emergencies. But I also have a dad whose a pediatric surgeon so he can take care of most of our medical concerns and give me advise.

Spfldmomof2
by Kimberly on May. 19, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I'm the same way.  All the times I've gone to the ER when they were little, were for stitches, staples, and things like that.  Twice was for concussions, one each for each boy.  When my boys were younger, we didn't even have walk in clinics. Now we have 3 within 20 miles. I have gone there with my youngest and they were a lot better than the ER.  More patient, too. Highly recommend walk ins!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I have had a lot of er visit in the past but they were emergencies. Fever maybe 3 between the 2 and that was under age 3 with fever over 101. All other were from accidents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)