Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need to know what it is about, how it works.

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM
  • 20 Replies

Obamacare... This is a serious post so please treat it like so. The company I work for decided that they would rather pay a fine than insure their part time workers. This starts January 2014. They were going to give us anywhere between $200-1500 for copays plus try to get us on Obamacare. Now I'm a diabetic, and that amount alone will not cover copays. The insurance I have now covers my insulin pump supplies without a problem. I'm nervous about not being able to have my supplies covered. Everytime an employee would ask the union rep what this meant, he would say even the insurance lawyers don't know. So... do any of you guys know? What does it entail? Is it going to cover a lot? Cover a little? Personally it makes me nervous, the whole Obamacare stuff.

by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM

You will now have to purchase your own private insurance through the exchanges, or qualify for Medicaid. They are making room for higher incomes on medicaid now. Also you will get so much paid in from the government towards your insurance depending on how much you earn. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM
No one knows what the plans will formally look like yet. For my state the insurance department has identified one of the most comprehensive private plans that exists and are identifying the elements that all the other plans that are to be sold on the exchange must have. The insurance companies are still on the process of developing plans that are in compliance with the state and federal regulations. My husband is essentially in charge of the review of all these plans and helping to revise healthcare law fire our state. It has been mess according to him!
ZazaGoszzy
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM

ok, that makes me feel a little better that even the lawyers had no clue what was going to happen.

Quoting Anonymous:

No one knows what the plans will formally look like yet. For my state the insurance department has identified one of the most comprehensive private plans that exists and are identifying the elements that all the other plans that are to be sold on the exchange must have. The insurance companies are still on the process of developing plans that are in compliance with the state and federal regulations.

ZazaGoszzy
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

You will now have to purchase your own private insurance through the exchanges, or qualify for Medicaid. They are making room for higher incomes on medicaid now. Also you will get so much paid in from the government towards your insurance depending on how much you earn. 

Childofares
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM

The details about the upcoming rollout are murky at best and I feel it's going to be a disaster. I'm so confused and even the 'official" websites aren't saying anything in a clear manner. I also heard (and I hope this is a rumor) that employers must now supply insurance to anyone that works over 28 hours a week. At my job they will just cut us all to 27 and then I'll be double screwed. 

ZazaGoszzy
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM

What we were told was the employers MUST supply insurance or pay a fee... So they paid the fee and now only Full timers and part timers who average 30 hours throughout this year will be covered next year. So, my husband will be able to get it which is great and all, but it screws me over because once that was implemented in the contract, they came up with a new scheduling system and I never got over 25 hours. Right now, I'm out of work to take care of my son, but when I go back, I'll only be getting 20-25 hours.

Quoting Childofares:

The details about the upcoming rollout are murky at best and I feel it's going to be a disaster. I'm so confused and even the 'official" websites aren't saying anything in a clear manner. I also heard (and I hope this is a rumor) that employers must now supply insurance to anyone that works over 28 hours a week. At my job they will just cut us all to 27 and then I'll be double screwed. 

RissyLee
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I have no idea how it works. All I know is that I can't afford insurance for myself, but I don't qualify for Medicaid. My son does, but I don't have insurance. My parents told me that I will have to pay a tax of some sort if I can't pay for insurance? Idk. All I know is I can't afford it. And does every employer have to give insurance? Even ones with only a few employees?
I don't get it.
ZazaGoszzy
by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I think there is a minimum of how many people work for you before you have to supply insurance. I work for a supermarket that has many, many stores going from Maine to Delaware, so they are supposed to supply it. But, because it was cheaper for them to pay the fee than to help out their employees, they opted out.

Quoting RissyLee:

I have no idea how it works. All I know is that I can't afford insurance for myself, but I don't qualify for Medicaid. My son does, but I don't have insurance. My parents told me that I will have to pay a tax of some sort if I can't pay for insurance? Idk. All I know is I can't afford it. And does every employer have to give insurance? Even ones with only a few employees?
I don't get it.

RissyLee
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Hmm. I'll have to ask my boss about that. I teach pre-k. At the center where I work there are 9 employees (including myself). She also owns two other centers, but they aren't under the same name. I wonder if having three different centers under three different names keeps all the employees from being counted together?

Quoting ZazaGoszzy:

I think there is a minimum of how many people work for you before you have to supply insurance. I work for a supermarket that has many, many stores going from Maine to Delaware, so they are supposed to supply it. But, because it was cheaper for them to pay the fee than to help out their employees, they opted out.

Quoting RissyLee:

I don't get it.

ZazaGoszzy
by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I'm not sure. I think you should ask your boss, although I don't think she'll have to suppy insurance because it is still small.

Quoting RissyLee:

Hmm. I'll have to ask my boss about that. I teach pre-k. At the center where I work there are 9 employees (including myself). She also owns two other centers, but they aren't under the same name. I wonder if having three different centers under three different names keeps all the employees from being counted together?

Quoting ZazaGoszzy:

Quoting RissyLee:

I don't get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN