Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cutters, tell me why.. *update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies
*Update- Thank you all for your insight and stories. I wish I could hug each one of you! What I ended up doing is borrowing some of your stories and showing them to her. She picked out the ones that sounded the most like how she felt. We had a long talk about how we could adjust some of the imediate issues at home and we have a working plan :-) We have started jogging together in the morningss again too! This has been something we both missed doing and have found the renewed priorety in it. She will start formal therapy at the end of her summer visit with her dad and in the mean time has an hour a week with the school counselor. Again, thank you all for helping my daughter and I get on the same page, I couldn't have done this without you!

Also, she was shocked at how deeply cutting has affected some of you into your adult lives. This helped open a dialog about the struggles of adulthood.

It has come to my attention that my dd is cutting. I am working on getting her some help, but in the mean time I really don't know what to say to her. She has cut her arms, shallow slices all up and down her forearms. Some are healing and some are fresh so this has been going on for at least a week now. I can't wrap my mind around why. Please help me understand what this is doing for my dd :-(
Posted by Anonymous on May. 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bitemebetty
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM
For me I was angry and couldn't release it. I took it out on myself. And it felt good. There was a flood of excitement when I cut. It honestly became an addiction that took almost 10years to.break. I still struggle today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2manydiapers
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM
After years of abuse and stress I cut because it was the only control I had over my life, I also became anorexic dropping to 90lbs at 6'3.

Eta:Im now 26 and fight the urge to cut daily 5 years slice free. And still battle anorexia, I got so used to not eating I broke the hunger mechanism. I'm now 185lbs
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Do you know what somebody could have done in the early times to help you before it got out of hand? I think her being angry could be very realistic, our lives are upside down right now :-( Should have a handle on the current situation mid-summer. But, how do I help her until then?

Quoting Bitemebetty:

For me I was angry and couldn't release it. I took it out on myself. And it felt good. There was a flood of excitement when I cut. It honestly became an addiction that took almost 10years to.break. I still struggle today.

preacherskid
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM

For my college roommate it was a way of releasing her self loathing and depression, and it gave her an adrenaline rush.  She had a very specific routine, had been cutting for years- she was also bipolar and not getting the right treatment.  The irony was that she was a psych major and knew she needed treatment, she just didn't want it.  I think that for her, part of handling the bipolar was the cutting.

Bitemebetty
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I think if my mom would have got me consuling it could have helpes. Don't blame her her make her feel bad. My mom would or just tell me to stop and it would get worse. Another outlet for what she feeling could help to.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you know what somebody could have done in the early times to help you before it got out of hand? I think her being angry could be very realistic, our lives are upside down right now :-( Should have a handle on the current situation mid-summer. But, how do I help her until then?

Quoting Bitemebetty:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on May. 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't deal with pain in my mind. Making it something physical "helped". I normally used my outer thighs though. No one would see there.

dudestfd
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this
It is for attention. If she were seriously trying to hurt herself she would just cut her wrists and get it over with. Harsh but true, been there and done that.
JP-StrongForTwo
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM

i did it because it hurt. nothing more. i was so numb, i wanted to feel something. it was a long time ago for me, i dont remember it all the way clearly. but please, get her some help. *hugs* good luck. 

PhoenixV
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM
For me it was trying to do anything other than think. When I would cut I was better able to focus on the pain than my thoughts. There are days now even when I catch myself wanting nothing more than to only feel, and ignore all thoughts.
2manydiapers
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM
2 moms liked this
For some yes, all no. I never cut anywhere visible, or let anyone know when I used to. Now I voice when I'm stressed how I have the urge, but still dont.

Not everyone cuts for attention or to kill themselves.

Quoting dudestfd:

It is for attention. If she were seriously trying to hurt herself she would just cut her wrists and get it over with. Harsh but true, been there and done that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)