Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would this concern you?

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:12 AM
  • 28 Replies
I have 3 kids. My youngest is 3 (will be 4 in August). My older 2 are both very smart and never had trouble learning anything I taught them. They both went into school more advanced than their classmates because I'd worked with them so much.

I'm starting to worry about my youngest though. He has hit all of his milestones early (walking, talking, etc), but he seems clueless when it comes to a lot of other things. I've been working on teaching him his colors since he turned one, but when I ask him what color something is he just starts spouting off random colors until he gets it right. Same with shapes. He knows the names of all of the shapes, but he doesn't comprehend which name goes with which shape.

What's weird is that he can name off and recognize about 35 different dinosaurs and pretty much any animal you can imagine. He knows animal facts I don't even know. I've tried relating his colors, shapes, letters and numbers to dinosaurs and animals, but he just looks confused.

He also will ask me a question like "mommy, what's for lunch?" and I'll say "a sandwich" and 10 seconds later he asks the same question and I answer again. He'll ask me 20 times in the span of 5 minutes and each time he seems genuinely curious. He does this with pretty much every question he ever has.

Would you be concerned about this or would you just give him more time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on May. 20, 2013 at 3:18 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyona_malone
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 3:20 AM
Bump
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on May. 20, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Quoting kyona_malone:

Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyona_malone
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Np, I hope you get some good advice :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 20, 2013 at 3:22 AM
My daughter just turned 3 this month and she will ask the same question like 20 times over and over. I am not really worried about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 20, 2013 at 3:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds a lot like how my daughter was at that age (and still is). She has Asperger's. I'm not saying your son has it, but some of his 'quirks' are very similar to my daughter. She can't remember jack, and asks me ALL. THE. TIME. what's for lunch, when's dinner, when are we leaving, what day is school, etc, and will repetitivly ask me even when I give her an answer.

She's 11 now.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on May. 20, 2013 at 3:25 AM
Does she know her colors and shapes?

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter just turned 3 this month and she will ask the same question like 20 times over and over. I am not really worried about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganmommy4
by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:25 AM

the fact that he's that vocal, you shouldn't worry that much.. Maybe he's on the spectrum but I really wouldn't worry too much.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on May. 20, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Interesting. I never considered Asperger's. He has a few other quirks like, he's obsessed with touching my belly. He can't calm himself without my "softy belly". He has a daily routine that cannot be interrupted. If it is, he gets extremely upset. He wants the exact same thing to eat for breakfast and lunch every single day.

Does your dd do anything like that?

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds a lot like how my daughter was at that age (and still is). She has Asperger's. I'm not saying your son has it, but some of his 'quirks' are very similar to my daughter. She can't remember jack, and asks me ALL. THE. TIME. what's for lunch, when's dinner, when are we leaving, what day is school, etc, and will repetitivly ask me even when I give her an answer.

She's 11 now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on May. 20, 2013 at 3:33 AM
Oh, he's VERY vocal lol. He never stops talking. I honestly never even thought about the spectrum until a pp mentioned Aspergers.

Quoting paganmommy4:

the fact that he's that vocal, you shouldn't worry that much.. Maybe he's on the spectrum but I really wouldn't worry too much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)