Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Doctor Mom

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
If you want to work and be a mother, then you can find a job in journalism or professional cooking or law. But “if you want to be a doctor, be a doctor,” wrote Sibert, an anesthesiologist, concluding: “Patients need doctors to take care of them. Medicine shouldn’t be a part-time interest to be set aside if it becomes inconvenient; it deserves to be a life’s work.”

An excerpt from an article found at this link-->
http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/15/can-doctors-have-work-life-balance-medical-students-discuss/

Do you agree? Can mothers really give the necessary attention to their families while perusing a medical career?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 20, 2013 at 3:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 20, 2013 at 5:44 AM
Bump
seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on May. 20, 2013 at 5:54 AM

For real??!!  Does this person say the same thing to men? No one gets to put a limit on what another gender can do-no one.

SusanD
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Well, one of the best doctors that I have worked with is a mother. I think that it can really help with the way that they treat patients, especially pediatric patients and parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofpreemieboy
by on May. 20, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Yes I think they can mothers are an amazing species. A Dr can be both Amazing as a mom and a Doctor!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 20, 2013 at 6:28 AM

My hubby's mother went back to medicine after 15 years of being a SAHM.  She had to do another residency as her first one was deemed out of date.  She opened her own practice and was a great doctor, but she was a horrible mother, even from the get go.  Medicine was her calling, not motherhood.

I know a few female doctors who are married with children.  Some can handle the dual roles nicely with accommodations from their husbands and family support.  I think it depends on the family unit and how the mothers handle being a mom.  Some women are more nurturing and aware of their children's needs than others.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 20, 2013 at 7:50 AM
How sad for your DH :(

I wouldn't want to neglect my child to pursue my dreams, but at the same time I don't want to resent him for not trying...

Tough balance..

All in all - he didn't choose to be born so I've got to finish what I started. I want him to have the best childhood I can offer.

Quoting Anonymous:

My hubby's mother went back to medicine after 15 years of being a SAHM.  She had to do another residency as her first one was deemed out of date.  She opened her own practice and was a great doctor, but she was a horrible mother, even from the get go.  Medicine was her calling, not motherhood.

I know a few female doctors who are married with children.  Some can handle the dual roles nicely with accommodations from their husbands and family support.  I think it depends on the family unit and how the mothers handle being a mom.  Some women are more nurturing and aware of their children's needs than others.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM
It's sad because men can become doctors or go to war... And not be considered neglectful of their children.

Quoting seemommyrun:

For real??!!  Does this person say the same thing to men? No one gets to put a limit on what another gender can do-no one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Bump
TrouserMouse
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Honestly, I abandoned my medicine tract while in college to get something more predictable and less demanding for my family.
deadlights86
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I prefer dr's that are mothers. My 4 yo dr was not a mother and she was stupid. My kids current dr is AMAZING! I wish she was MY dr.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)