Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mother Arrested for Assaulting 11yo - What would you have done in her shoes?

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 164 Replies
2 moms liked this

Mother Arrested for Assaulting 11-Year-Old Girl But We Can't Blame Her

by Kiri Blakeley

A mother was arrested inside her daughter's school after allegedly assaulting an 11-year-old girl whom her daughter says was bullying her. Attifa Brown was charged with a slew of things that make her sound like a terrorist -- including "terroristic threats." Which makes me wonder what that entails exactly because I have the feeling well all make "terroristic threats" occasionally when we're pissed off! Anyway, the mom says she had good reason to confront the 11-year-old -- because she was beating up her daughter, who even has a face bruise to show for it. She denies she assaulted her, however.

Videotape caught the incident inside the school and the alleged bully's mom, Bobby Webster, denies her child is a bully and says about the other mom:

The tape showed this lady over my daughter for minutes, poking her in the face, pulling her hair and beating her.

Well, yikes, if there's videotape showing THAT, then the mom is in trouble. Says Lt. John Walker of the Philadelphia police:

The problem here is that we have a 26-year-old mother who has no reason to approach an 11-year-old child, so her credibility as far as I'm concerned is shot.

No offense, officer, but I beg to differ that she had "no reason" to approach an 11-year-old child. If the child was assaulting her child and complaints to the school brought no action (as they often don't) then I can't blame the mom for getting in the little girl's face. Now laying hands on her (if she did)? That's another story.

But what is a mother to do? Mothers are sick of this. As this mom, who denies she touched the girl, says: "I'm human."

The right way to go about this would be to report incidents to the school. To document bruises or other evidence. To call the police.

But what if they do nothing???!!!

Then, yeah, I don't blame a mom for going all mama bear and getting in a kid's face. Shamefully, I would do it too. Does this teach your kid that violence is the only way to stop violence? Not if done correctly. Not if you stand tall over that bully, look her straight in the eye, point a finger and say, calmly, "You are not to touch my child again."

And if THAT doesn't work? Then what? I wish I had the answer. Laying hands on another child will just get you in trouble, like this woman is now. Now she needs to hire a lawyer, she might lose her job, might even go to jail.

Schools, wake up. Zero tolerenace for bullying should mean, at the very least, a conference with all parties. Separating the girls into different classes. Eyes on both parties. Something! And as for moms who insist their little snowflakes aren't bulliers, sit down with your child anyway. Maybe they ARE. Talk to them. Discipline them for god's sake!

At least this mom didn't go to school with a chain.

What do you do when your child is being bullied? Is your child's school helpful?

by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CutieCrab
by Jen on May. 20, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

My son is only 4 and hasn't been bullied yet... Idk what I'd do...  I'd probably go mama bear. Idk if the school is helpful because I have not yet come across this... My son better not ever be a bully...  I teach him to respect everyone. Respect is very important to me.

**Jen**:-)

faire_jour
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

So her child was assaulted, so she assaulted another child? That is ridiculous. Hitting people doesn't solve anything!

starlighthippie
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I would pick up the other kid and move her to another room, tell her we do not hit people and then take my DD home and discuss switching schools.
AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on May. 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM
5 moms liked this

Wait...this article is justifying a grown woman beating up an 11 year old?????

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 20, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Acted like an adult.  Of course that would have NOT included having a child in my teens.  There is so much wrong with this story that it's difficult to know where to start.

Msgme
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:07 AM
9 moms liked this

I have to say I can understand where her fustration comes from.  when my son was in 3rd grade he had this kid that kept bullying him.  over and over and over.  My reports to the school did nothing.  Talks with the mom resulted in telling me to tell my son to man up.  One day while walking home he just came up and punched my son in the face.  I lost it.  I grabbed the kid by his shirt coller and told him if he ever laid a hand on my son again I would personally kick his ass.  I didnt hurt him or hit him but i did grab his shirt.  embarrassed him in front of all of his friends.  I know I should not have touched him but i got to the point where i was fed up.  Same kid tried stabbing me in the back a cpl days later.  LIterally. 

LovelyMommy24
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I would talk to the bullys parents. If that didn't work, I would find the little shit walking to school one day and let he/she know that they are to leave my child alone and believe me, that would do it.
Brandyns87
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:14 AM
2 moms liked this

There are kids who will hit an adult who gets in their face about being a bully. I've witnessed it. If my son were being bullied, he for some reason couldn't beat up the little asshole, and his school did nothing I would call one of his cousins to handle it.

nova.mommy
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:16 AM

If they have video tape showing this mom harming the 11 yo, they should also have tape of what the same 11 yo was doing, or not doing, to her child.

If it is shown that the 11 yo is a bully, proper actions should be taken.  This mother's action was not the way to handle it.

victoriangavin
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM
21 moms liked this

I've been bullied since kindergarten.  The same girl bullied me from third grade through 6th while the school did nothing, they told me to walk away. So in 6th when she used karate on me I attempted to fight back and missed, the school suspended me for 7 days.  My mom grabbed the principal by his throat, lifted him off the floor and slammed him against the wall in the office while she told him to walk away.  H retired after that year  because of my mom, he spent the rest of the year hiding from my mom whenever she came to the school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)