Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does your husband have a say in how you dress?

Posted by   + Show Post

My dh and I have been together a really long time.  22 years. For the past 22 years I have rarely worn a bra. Its just me and thats how I'm comfortable.  Most of the time you can't tell because of the type of shirts i wear. I do put one one when i feel i have to. Anytime i have to "dress up"  if i'm going to school functions or i'm going to be around kids and its noticible.    This has been me since the day dh and i met.  Out of no where last night he decides its not good that i don't and he tells me that I have to.  which led to a discussion on if he has the right to tell me how to dress as my husband.  I told him i"m 38 years old and old enough to decide what i wear.  He is not my dad.  I don't have one and my mother is passed.  How i dress is my perogative. I don't tell him how to dress. The other day he left the house dressed for work and came home in a tank top. All kinds of muscles showing.  Maybe i don't want him flaunting his muscles.  He of course only sees his side of the argument.

by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Replies (11-20):
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I don't let my husband tell me how to dress. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I value my husband's opinion on my clothing to a pretty high degree, I think, but I do not let him rule me, nor has he ever tried. I think he's the type that I could dress in booty shorts, a belly shirt and go bra-less and he probably wouldn't even care! Lol. Luckily, I wouldn't, so that's never happened outside the home. As far as modesty, I take care of that myself, but even if I weren't modest, he's just not the type who cares if other men see it. Sometimes he will think a shirt I buy is not his taste as far as the style, but he is well aware that if I like it, I will still wear it, and he doesn't make it a problem. There are lots of things in my closet he loves. Some things he has even picked out for me, but he doesn't rule my style at all. I think he would ask me not to dress frumpy if I did though. Lol. I dress pretty normal and decent.

KyBugsMommy815
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I don't technically have a husband, but no, SO doesn't have a say in how I dress. Occasionally, I will ask him if an outfit looks okay or if something matches, but he doesn't get to tell me what to wear or what not to wear.
Vamp
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Well he does not like a big cleavage if I'm not going out with him, but I'm ok with it too, I like teasing him about it LOL

meglennox
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM
This

Quoting Babujai:

My husband's opinion is important to me, but it's just an opinion.  He doesn't get veto power or anything.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Sorry but imo all woman should wear bras.  It is just wrong not too unless you truly don't have breasts to speak of. 

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM
He has no say in my clothes. Just like I have no say in his.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms2be0109
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM

He has every right to have an opinion on how you should dress. Maybe people have been saying things to or around him and he is getting embarrased. As your spouse he can tell you what you should and should not wear. I am not saying this in a sexist all mighty man way. You have the same right to tell him. 

lesbiansjugglingfloating in pooljuly 4th

Asking who is the "man" and who is the "woman" in a same-sex relationship is like asking which chopstick is the fork.

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on May. 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I will ask him how something looks, but that's as far as it goes. He knows better than to try to tell me how to dress. I tend to be rather vindictive. 

*sigh*
Yes, I know that being vindictive is rather childish but you know what ... you have to be a little childish once in a while. It is good for you.  

boysrjoys2
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM
No. He doesn't understand the concept of it "going" and not "matching".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)