Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does your husband have a say in how you dress?

Posted by   + Show Post

My dh and I have been together a really long time.  22 years. For the past 22 years I have rarely worn a bra. Its just me and thats how I'm comfortable.  Most of the time you can't tell because of the type of shirts i wear. I do put one one when i feel i have to. Anytime i have to "dress up"  if i'm going to school functions or i'm going to be around kids and its noticible.    This has been me since the day dh and i met.  Out of no where last night he decides its not good that i don't and he tells me that I have to.  which led to a discussion on if he has the right to tell me how to dress as my husband.  I told him i"m 38 years old and old enough to decide what i wear.  He is not my dad.  I don't have one and my mother is passed.  How i dress is my perogative. I don't tell him how to dress. The other day he left the house dressed for work and came home in a tank top. All kinds of muscles showing.  Maybe i don't want him flaunting his muscles.  He of course only sees his side of the argument.

by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Replies (31-40):
scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Why did he change his mind?

Msgme
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Whats really funny about the whole thing is that if he picked out my wardrobe i would probably get mistaken for a hooker on a regular basis.

Quoting hudson.maggie:

If I dressed like my husband wanted me to I'd probably look like a hooker/business women.. So he only gets a little say so in what I wear lol

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Quoting Babujai:

My husband's opinion is important to me, but it's just an opinion.  He doesn't get veto power or anything.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM

My husband doesn't have any say in what I wear and he doesn't try to

AHmom103
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I let my husband give his opinion, and 99% of the time, if he hates something, I won't wear it. But he and I have very similar opinions on what is appropriate for a married woman to wear in public, so it's rarely an issue.

Msgme
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

No idea. Granted the shirt i was wearing yesterday was mucn more noticible than usual.  But i was at home all day.  NOt like i was outside running a marathon or anything.   when i asked him why now it was a problem he wouldnt answer.  Just kept saying that he had a right to tell me how to dress.

Quoting scarletmeshell:

Why did he change his mind?

hudson.maggie
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Yep! Same here lol

Quoting Msgme:

Whats really funny about the whole thing is that if he picked out my wardrobe i would probably get mistaken for a hooker on a regular basis.

Quoting hudson.maggie:

If I dressed like my husband wanted me to I'd probably look like a hooker/business women.. So he only gets a little say so in what I wear lol

Msgme
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM

He's given his opinion over the years many times.  I usually take his opinion into consideration because its always been good advice. and this is the first itme its been an issue in 22 years.

Quoting AHmom103:

I let my husband give his opinion, and 99% of the time, if he hates something, I won't wear it. But he and I have very similar opinions on what is appropriate for a married woman to wear in public, so it's rarely an issue.

6under1roof
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

It sounds like it's been eating at him for a long time and he finally felt comfortable enough with you to let it out. Albiet, not in the best way possible.. but he's a guy, they're not always the best at expressing themselves diplomatically.

I would try and see his point of view and, out of respect for him, wear one more often (at least whenever he is around).

Maybe some of his guy friends have made comments and it bothered him or made him jealous? Or he overheard some other moms talking shit about you behind your back. It's so hard to tell with guys... but honestly, I would take the 'command' with a grain of salt and just try to be compliant the best way I could. It's not like he's asking you to do a complete wardrobe overhaul, kwim?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

what?? no bra??  i cant imagine it not being noticeable unless you are tiny, like an A cup....  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN