Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Its not about SAH or going to work, its about the fact that there is no "village"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

When I was little, my mom had to leave me with my grandparents for like 4 years, off and on. She came to the states with my dad here, like most immigrants, looking for a better opportunity for my dad, herself, and me.

And we def found more accessibility here. More opportunity.

Anyways, my time with my grandparents, I remember it very fondly. In  the morning I would get eggs with my grandma from the chicken coup and my grandfather would talk to me and play me and talk to me about God, the bible, etc. He was a baptist pastor. We spent a lot of time at the church.

My mom would stay with us for two months then she'd have to leave again, for about 2 months.

My aunts, uncles, cousins were always around. There was always a trip we had to go on. It was fun. It was def the same values my mom had.

Finally, the opportunity arose that my mom could take me with her and off with her I went to the states. How I missed my family. My grandparents especially. I cried and cried. They tried to give me toys and I thought, "I don't want your plastic american toys! I want my chicken coup and my grandma and grandpa!"

I mean, that is how I felt as a child. And here we are. Now, I'm married with a kid of my own. There was certainly opportunity. I became a citizen, graudated in engineering, etc. And, don't get me wrong, I love this country, my country and all the opportunities it has afforded me and now my son.

But I don't have the village I had in my home country. My son doesn't have that village. My mom is working to cover her bills. I have the choice of so many other american moms: go to work or stay home with my kid. In my home country, there was a third choice: the village.

My son could have be with his grandparents (but my mom is working) or with his uncle and aunts (they are in Vzla) but if they were here, they would probably be always working.

The states have a lot of opportunity and a lot of material things that in places like my home country, could never be attainable. But its hard to find a village with people that have enough time to spend together, so that the children can be raised in it among everybody

Its probable that I am making it more idealistic than it really is and or was...

what do you all think?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Replies (21-21):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Its also awesome to hear that alot folks do have villages. And it doesn't have to be family, you guys are right. Thats just what it was and still is, in my home country.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN