Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How old is too old for boys and girls to share a bedroom?

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 695 Replies

My best friend has a 7yo girl and a 8yo boy sharing a bedroom, but her ex is ticked at her for it and says they're too old.

How old is too old for boys and girls to share a bedroom?

by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM
3 moms liked this

Friends of mine had to change rooms when they were 8. But they only had a 2 bedroom apartment so the mom and daughter stayed in one room and the father and son stayed in the other. They each had their own single bed but it was still very weird.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Idk I would say like 8 or 9
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM
11 moms liked this
I don't think there is an issue. As they get older they may want privacy but at 7 and 8 I think it's fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this
christina0607
by on May. 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM
42 moms liked this
I don't think there is an age. If at some point its an issue for the kids then yes....but if the kids are fine with it, I don't see the big deal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
8 moms liked this
I don't think I'd ever do it. We are currently pregnant with #3 and if it's a girl (we have 2 boys) we well be getting a bigger apartment. I don't think it's fair to make boys and girls share a room.
INIpossibility
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM

The last time my brother and I shared a room I was 7 and he was 11. My sister, who was three, was in the same room as well. My mom didn't have choice and I hated it because my brother was a bully and never shared his stupid toys...

when my mom got another apartment, I was 10 ( lived with my grandma for yrs) and because it was another 2 bedroom apartment she slept on the couch so my brother could have his own room and my sister and I shared the other

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't past 4-5. My kids never have

VickyJoJo
by New Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM
4 moms liked this

It is not an issue now but there should be some planning for how to get them separate rooms in the future.  Once they start to enter puberty, they will want their privacy.

Frankly, you should also check the laws in your state.  Some states doe have regulations on this.  My friend had her 3 kids, 1 boy and 2 girls, sharing a room until the boy was about 8.  They could have stayed together longer but she felt it was time for the boy to have some space.

christina0607
by on May. 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM
26 moms liked this
Quoting VickyJoJo:

It is not an issue now but there should be some planning for how to get them separate rooms in the future.  Once they start to enter puberty, they will want their privacy.

Frankly, you should also check the laws in your state.  Some states doe have regulations on this.  My friend had her 3 kids, 1 boy and 2 girls, sharing a room until the boy was about 8.  They could have stayed together longer but she felt it was time for the boy to have some space.

There is not a state in this country that has laws regarding where biolological kids can sleep.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)