Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this blood test really necessary during pregnancy?!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
An AFP blood test that is.Is it really necessary?!?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Replies (51-57):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I have an anatomy scan on the 29th i opted out of the afp cause to me it was not necessary everyone is different and has their own opinions i didn't get it with my first 2.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with some of the posters already- as far as it being 'neccessary'? No. The baby is going to grow and develop anyways whether you have blood tests, ultrasounds, or not.

It just depends on your comfort level about testing. Would you have better peace of mind knowing the test came back negative? Or would you stress constantly waiting for the results to come back?

Personally I do the blood tests but don't ever give them a second of worry. I do an early ultrasound for date if needed, and a mid-pregnancy ultrasound for gender and to check for any abnormalities. I do these tests because I am low risk and want to know that I'm staying that way- for example, if indicators are showing spina bifida I would choose hospital birth. If it were suspected my baby has down's syndrome, again, I may not choose home birth, because a down's baby often has breathing and heart issues at birth. If blood tests came back with positives, I would NOT go to an amnio, but would consent to ultrasounds to monitor the situation. Make sense?? Its really up to you and what you would do with the information once you have it. (:

colins_mom
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I did it because my family has had babies with born with nural tube defects and I wanted to be able to prepare myself. not abort, but to.prepare.
lovelychaos13
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM

for us that test and more tests will be nessacary for us to determine if when we are ready to try again and do get pregnat or stay that way long enough, for us to tell if another baby has holoprosencephaly. last year we had planned to home birth with midwife, no ob would see us unless we dropped the midwife, we went to have an independent ultrasound at 38 week and there was no longer a heartbeat. this birth defect is so rare and fatal many obs, geneticists, u/s techs  never see it in their carrer. we were assinged one of the top geneticist in the country and he also brought in one of the top geneticist in the world in on our case, it was the 1st he had seen it and  for her it was the 2nd she had seen it and shes about to retire... it was extraly rare for emma to last as long as she did, many are lost before you even have a positve bregnancy test and are gone by period due.  the rest are gone within the 1st trimester.

for many people this test may not be needed, but for us because we now know dh  is a carrier of a balanced reciprocating translocation known to cause this birth defect, well for us it is nessacary. emma would have been  almost 8 months now

Quoting Anonymous:

True but i dont see the point in it if my son/daughter was born a bit different im gonna love them and care for them no matter what.

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

Nothing is "necessary", but it can't hurt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on May. 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Careful you don't fall off that high horse, lady.  A blood test is not invasive.  A blood test does not automatically lead to an abortion, nor a drugged birth.  I thought you were all for people making up their minds...what is wrong with an informed decision?  You do realize that some people go to the doctor during their pregnancy, work with their physicians and have children the way they want to have children, medicine or not.  

I've given birth to two children completely naturally - at a hospital.  When I began hemorrhaging during the birth of my second child, I was very glad we were at the hospital.

Again, your advice is irresponsible. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm just stating what I did. Last I checked people make up their own minds regardless of what I say or do. And if I can open up someone's eyes to the possibilities of natural pregnancy and birth. Then I consider my job done because that's one less child that has to endure abortion because ofa false test or a child drugged at birth because her mom didn't know she had options.

Quoting Anonymous:

I plan to, thank you.  I just think that it is extremely irresponsible of you to give that advice to someone else.  People that have babies that are sick or have developmental issues have a body just as capable as yours, asshat.

Quoting Anonymous:

I live in the world just like you. I have confidence that my body can make a baby just fine without a Dr Pocking and prodding. You live your life I'll live mine.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sure if you like living under a rock and hoping and praying for 9 months that your baby is alright....

Some of us like to actually know.  A blood test is invasive?  Come on...

Quoting Anonymous:

I never got any tests during any pregnancy. With #3 I didn't even get an ultrasound. The less invasive the better.

TrouserMouse
by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM
No, it is totally a personal decision.
BlessedChaos
by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM
One intervention leads to another. I don't necessarily agree with either of you but I know statistically speaking tests lead to intervention.

Quoting Anonymous:

Careful you don't fall off that high horse, lady.  A blood test is not invasive.  A blood test does not automatically lead to an abortion, nor a drugged birth.  I thought you were all for people making up their minds...what is wrong with an informed decision?  You do realize that some people go to the doctor during their pregnancy, work with their physicians and have children the way they want to have children, medicine or not.  

I've given birth to two children completely naturally - at a hospital.  When I began hemorrhaging during the birth of my second child, I was very glad we were at the hospital.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm just stating what I did. Last I checked people make up their own minds regardless of what I say or do. And if I can open up someone's eyes to the possibilities of natural pregnancy and birth. Then I consider my job done because that's one less child that has to endure abortion because ofa false test or a child drugged at birth because her mom didn't know she had options.

Quoting Anonymous:

I plan to, thank you.  I just think that it is extremely irresponsible of you to give that advice to someone else.  People that have babies that are sick or have developmental issues have a body just as capable as yours, asshat.

Quoting Anonymous:

I live in the world just like you. I have confidence that my body can make a baby just fine without a Dr Pocking and prodding. You live your life I'll live mine.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sure if you like living under a rock and hoping and praying for 9 months that your baby is alright....

Quoting Anonymous:

I never got any tests during any pregnancy. With #3 I didn't even get an ultrasound. The less invasive the better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on May. 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM

A blood test gives you knowledge.

That's like saying a cholesterol test leads to a quadruple bypass.  It could, but more often than not, it doesnt.

Quoting BlessedChaos:

One intervention leads to another. I don't necessarily agree with either of you but I know statistically speaking tests lead to intervention.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)