Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Baby Breastfed by Vegan Mother Dies

Posted by   + Show Post
BEFORE ONE MORE PERSON BASHES ABOUT HOW THIS POST IS MISLEADING! THE TITLE OF THE POST IS THE TITLE OF THE FIRST ARTICLE. I ORIGINALLY ONLY POSTED THE FIRAT ARTICLE. ANOTHER POSTER TOLD ME ABOUT THE PNEUMONIA ASPECT SO I LOOKED IT UP AND POSTED THE SECOND ARTICLE. THE POST IS NOT MISLEADING IF YOU READ THE WHOLE DAMN THING. IF THE ONLY INFO YOU ARE GOING BY IS THE TITLE, I'M SORRY FOR YOU. BUT I'M NOT CHANGING IT BECAUSE, FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT I'VE EVER SEEN, THERE ARE A MULTITUDE OF WOMEN TALKING ABOUT BREASTFEEDING WITHOUT BASHING EACH OTHER ABOUT FORMULA. THANK YOU.

An 11 month old baby exclusively breastfed by a vegan mother has died and the parents are charged with neglect after an autopsy indicated the baby suffered from deficiencies in vitamin B12 and Vitamin A – both known to be critical to a child’s development.

Vegans have long been advised to take B12 supplements as long term veganism runs the huge risk of serious B12 deficiency as well as other nutrients only found in animal foods such as true Vitamin A. Beta carotene is not true vitamin A nor does it easily convert to adequate amounts of Vitamin A in the body.

While I’m not sure I favor charging the parents in this tragedy as it smacks of Big Brother far too much for my comfort level, it does communicate a clear message to other vegans: abstinence from all animal foods is a danger to one’s health and most particularly, your baby!

It also sends a clear message that what a breastfeeding Mother eats definitely DOES affect the quality of her breastmilk. Many breastfeeding advocates insist that breastmilk will include all a baby needs despite what the Mother eats, but clearly this is not the case.

Traditional cultures took great care to ensure that pregnant and breastfeeding mothers consumed ample amounts of animal foods rich in vitamins A, D, E, K and of course B12. These foods included grassfed butter, pastured eggs, liver, seafood, and fish eggs. Notice that none –NOT ONE of these traditionally sacred foods is plant based!

If you are pregnant and breastfeeding and would like to learn what foods will maximally support the health of your baby while nursing, please check this link for the complete listing of traditionally sacred foods for optimal fetal and baby development. These foods will also ensure the preservation of your own health during pregnancy and lactation which can easily deplete a Mother’s nutritional stores leaving her vulnerable to exhaustion.

*Update: The vegan parents whose baby died as described in this article were convicted by a French court to 5 years in prison.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/baby-breastfed-by-vegan-mother-dies/

Did Homeopathic Medicine, Breast-Feeding and Veganism Kill a Baby?

By Bonnie Rochman April 04, 2011

Alternative medicine is far more commonplace today than it was in the past. Herbs and natural remedies can, in many cases, be effective at soothing colds and addressing muscle aches and plenty of other ailments. But a verdict handed down last week by a French court is a reminder that homeopathic treatment alone is hardly the answer to every health woe. In some cases, it may even be tantamount to child abuse.

Last week, French couple Joel and Sergine Le Moaligou were sentenced to five years in prison for “neglect or food deprivation” after their 11-month-old daughter died due to their failure to follow a doctor’s advice. But due to a suspended sentence, they won’t end up spending any more time behind bars than they already have awaiting trial.

The couple, strict vegans, brought their baby, Louise, to a doctor in Jan. 2008, two months before her death. The doctor suspected pneumonia and directed the couple to get their daughter a chest X-ray. Instead, they returned home and followed recipes they found in their books on natural medicine for mustard, garlic and clay poultices. (More on Time.com: The Government’s Dietary Guidelines Get Guff From All Sides)

The couple’s alternative ‘bible’ was “The Natural Guide to Childhood,” written in 1972 by Jeanette Dextreit, 88, who defended her book in a video link to the court saying it had been written “a long time ago”, according to The Guardian.

“It was a book on (child)rearing not a book of treatment. I didn’t say to consult a doctor if the illness persisted because, for me, that was obvious,” she said.

Louise had been losing weight — she wasn’t even 13 pounds (5.9 kg) at nearly 1 year old — but her parents cancelled an appointment with her doctor. She died about a week later.

The case has attracted considerable attention in Europe, where proponents of both breast-feeding and veganism have rejected the connection made by state prosecutors between the breast-fed baby’s death and her mother’s diet, which was purged of all animal products including eggs and fish. (More on Time.com: Babies Who Start Solids Too Early More Likely To Be Obese)

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends babies be nourished exclusively on breast milk for the first six months; solid foods are gradually introduced one by one after that. It would be highly unusual for an 11-month-old to be solely breast-fed but even moreso in France, where apparently breast-feeding is “something akin to drinking your own urine,” according to commentary from Fiachra Gibbons in The Guardian.

“As a gynaecologist reminded a friend of mine the day she confirmed her pregnancy,” Gibbons wrote, “Your breasts are for your husband, not your baby.”

Perhaps that’s why France’s breast-feeding rate is the lowest of any Western nation. A bestseller, The Conflict: The Woman and the Mother, portrays breast-feeding as a misogynistic practice that hobbles mothers by tying them down to “despotic, gluttonous babies who devour their mothers.” (More on Time.com: Breast-Feeding: It Takes a Village to Help Moms Succeed)

The French may be known for being romantics, but apparently not when it comes to babes-in-arms.
http://healthland.time.com/2011/04/04/did-homeopathic-medicine-breast-feeding-and-veganism-kill-a-baby/

Honestly whether its the mal nutrition or the pneumonia that killed the baby, the stories do bring up a valid point. If you are going to exclusively breastfeed you should be educated and aware of what types of nutrients you need to be intaking to provide nutritious milk.
by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Replies (261-270):
whyamiabadmom
by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Since there are over 200 replies here I haven't read all of them but I have to say that the issue shouldn't be about formula vs breastfeeding. The baby was 11 months old and had never been fed.  She weighed 13 pounds.  SHE NEEDED FOOD and was starved to death.  It's not even about homeopathic vs allopathic health care.  She was sick and her malnourished little body couldn't handle the stress.   These people willfully STARVED their child to death!!!!!!  And their families, friends, neighbors, hell several somebodies stood by watching that poor little girl waste away and NEVER did anything about it.  That is the tradgedy here!  :(

chipper87
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM
I agree about 4 months being too young
She is on 95% breast milk and that's actually totally fine. It wasn't a choice we made on a whim, we made an educated decision, but thank you for your opinion.

Quoting thanush:

4m is way too early to start solids.

11m is way too law to keep a baby only on BM

Quoting chipper87:

Kid #1 started solids at 4m, picky eater barely touches food

Kid #2 is 11m and only recently started solids (not baby food like her sister) and she LOVES eating finger foods!

I don't think it has anything to do with what they were fed and when.

Breast milk doesn't stop being more nutrious so technically they won't need to rely on anything until they aren't breastfed

Quoting thanush:

Exactly. That's why they need to practice to relay on solid meals by the time they hit 1. Babies don't miraculously start eating other food well when they hit 1, so it's important that they are gradually introduced to solid food before they 'must rely' it. 

My DD is 3 and she still drinks about 20+oz milk a day. My DD was BF for 15 months and EBF for 6 months. I wasn't very big on solids before 1 either, and DD would still drink a glass of milk instead of eat, which is not healthy. She's a very poor eater imo.

Quoting Retrokitty:

Babies don't need solids until one year. Before then its just practice.

Quoting thanush:

It's probably the Pneumonia that killed the baby! Those idiot parents decided to make their baby a guinea pig to follow some recipes in a book. It's one thing to take some honey and ginger etc for a cold, but to try remedies when a Dr suspected Pneumonia?? what were they thinking? Feeding baby nothing but BM for 11 months? That's not healthy at all. 

I think the french was just trying to blame it on BF. I'm amazed about how wired they feel about the most natural bond in the world.

BTW, there are tons of nutrition in BM that formula makers just cannot duplicate. There's no 'vitamin' etc a exclusively FF baby can take that would fill the gap between BM and Formula. But it's very important that a BF mom eats  a healthy diet, because I do believe that the mom's diet does play a significant roll in her BM.

thanush
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I hit the post too fast and didn't finish the post. There was more to it. I wasn't passing a snotty opinion on you. Lol. 

Quoting chipper87:

I agree about 4 months being too young
She is on 95% breast milk and that's actually totally fine. It wasn't a choice we made on a whim, we made an educated decision, but thank you for your opinion.

Quoting thanush:

4m is way too early to start solids.

11m is way too law to keep a baby only on BM

Quoting chipper87:

Kid #1 started solids at 4m, picky eater barely touches food

Kid #2 is 11m and only recently started solids (not baby food like her sister) and she LOVES eating finger foods!

I don't think it has anything to do with what they were fed and when.

Breast milk doesn't stop being more nutrious so technically they won't need to rely on anything until they aren't breastfed

Quoting thanush:

Exactly. That's why they need to practice to relay on solid meals by the time they hit 1. Babies don't miraculously start eating other food well when they hit 1, so it's important that they are gradually introduced to solid food before they 'must rely' it. 

My DD is 3 and she still drinks about 20+oz milk a day. My DD was BF for 15 months and EBF for 6 months. I wasn't very big on solids before 1 either, and DD would still drink a glass of milk instead of eat, which is not healthy. She's a very poor eater imo.

Quoting Retrokitty:

Babies don't need solids until one year. Before then its just practice.

Quoting thanush:

It's probably the Pneumonia that killed the baby! Those idiot parents decided to make their baby a guinea pig to follow some recipes in a book. It's one thing to take some honey and ginger etc for a cold, but to try remedies when a Dr suspected Pneumonia?? what were they thinking? Feeding baby nothing but BM for 11 months? That's not healthy at all. 

I think the french was just trying to blame it on BF. I'm amazed about how wired they feel about the most natural bond in the world.

BTW, there are tons of nutrition in BM that formula makers just cannot duplicate. There's no 'vitamin' etc a exclusively FF baby can take that would fill the gap between BM and Formula. But it's very important that a BF mom eats  a healthy diet, because I do believe that the mom's diet does play a significant roll in her BM.

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM

That's funny considering the part I highlighted in red below. I thrive on the truth. Something you should try on occasion.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

No I saw it, but I was already aware of the pneumonia by the time you graced the post with your presence :-) you seem to thrive on confrontation :-)

Quoting sha_lyn68:

ROFLMAO..... You are so full of yourself. I have a "hard on" for you? 

You  did know about the  link I posted before you questioned my use of the word "we".  You seem to thrive on being clueless.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Which I did not know at the time of posting the article and was already told about the pneumonia and was googling the new article when you posted your stuff. Stop making it seem like I intentionally witheld info since that is not what happened.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Yes, we.  You need to go back and look at the posts in this thread f you really believe that only one person said that there was more to the story. I not only c/p a quote from a Dr that testified in their trial, I provided a link.

Yes of course there was more to the story, the fact that the baby died of pneumonia.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

We? One poster told me, I asked if she had a link, she said no but its easily found by Google, which I did, and posted it :-) because I am not intentionally misleading anyone. There was no more to the story I read. I copied and pasted it exactly as I read it. It's not like I took out parts. The point was not to discuss the infants death the point was to discuss nutrition and how it transfers through breast milk. Why do you have such a hard on for me?

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Dear God woman, you jump on her about reading comprehension when we had to lead you by the hand to the facts. You argued in the beginning that there was noting else to the story other than breastfeeding. You couldn't even bother to click on the link at the bottom of the blog that you copied and pasted.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Reading comprehension..... Something you should look into...... The second article clearly states the pneumonia case :-)

Quoting elitish:

Nope. Sorry. This post is totally misleading. You can drink Pepsi and eat cheetos for a year and still provide breastmilk to at thriving infant. When food is scarce in tribal Africa, breastfeeding women drink Rooibos tea by the bucketload to provide healthy milk -- guess what? There's no b12 in tea.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the mom's veganism or breastfeeding, and everything to do with the fact that parents did nothing about serious pneumonia for 8 weeks, which infants are particularly bad at fighting.

Facts are your friend.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on May. 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM
2 moms liked this
This stupid post is STILL going?
Lizard_Lina
by on May. 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Lol of course that would happen.

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

Well with the font on my phone it makes caps lock hard to read so I usually just skip over it

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Lol not mad just hoping the point gets seen

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

She busted out the caps lock. She must be mad.

Lizard_Lina
by on May. 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM
That's funny considering that I was in the process of posting the new one by the time you came around. This post is not about you. Bye bye.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

That's funny considering the part I highlighted in red below. I thrive on the truth. Something you should try on occasion.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

No I saw it, but I was already aware of the pneumonia by the time you graced the post with your presence :-) you seem to thrive on confrontation :-)

Quoting sha_lyn68:

You  did know about the  link I posted before you questioned my use of the word "we".  You seem to thrive on being clueless.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Which I did not know at the time of posting the article and was already told about the pneumonia and was googling the new article when you posted your stuff. Stop making it seem like I intentionally witheld info since that is not what happened.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Yes, we.  You need to go back and look at the posts in this thread f you really believe that only one person said that there was more to the story. I not only c/p a quote from a Dr that testified in their trial, I provided a link.

Yes of course there was more to the story, the fact that the baby died of pneumonia.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

We? One poster told me, I asked if she had a link, she said no but its easily found by Google, which I did, and posted it :-) because I am not intentionally misleading anyone. There was no more to the story I read. I copied and pasted it exactly as I read it. It's not like I took out parts. The point was not to discuss the infants death the point was to discuss nutrition and how it transfers through breast milk. Why do you have such a hard on for me?

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Dear God woman, you jump on her about reading comprehension when we had to lead you by the hand to the facts. You argued in the beginning that there was noting else to the story other than breastfeeding. You couldn't even bother to click on the link at the bottom of the blog that you copied and pasted.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Reading comprehension..... Something you should look into...... The second article clearly states the pneumonia case :-)

Quoting elitish:

Nope. Sorry. This post is totally misleading. You can drink Pepsi and eat cheetos for a year and still provide breastmilk to at thriving infant. When food is scarce in tribal Africa, breastfeeding women drink Rooibos tea by the bucketload to provide healthy milk -- guess what? There's no b12 in tea.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the mom's veganism or breastfeeding, and everything to do with the fact that parents did nothing about serious pneumonia for 8 weeks, which infants are particularly bad at fighting.

Facts are your friend.

Lizard_Lina
by on May. 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM
It's slowed down......

Quoting Anonymous:

This stupid post is STILL going?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on May. 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM
2 moms liked this
It's not about vegans or breastfeeding either. It's about failure to provide medical attention for your child.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

That's funny considering that I was in the process of posting the new one by the time you came around. This post is not about you. Bye bye.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting elitish:

Facts are your friend.

shell3m
by Shell on May. 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting shell3m:

They should have made her switch to formula.  Poor family.  :( 

No, they should have gone to the ER like the Dr told them to do instead of trying to treat pneumonia and bronchitis with clay and oatmeal.

yes the proper nutrition is a must also. **eye roll** why quote me just to start crap. I feel bad for the little boy that suffered and died, don't you?? We're on the same side of the coin, calm down.
CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN