Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Baby Breastfed by Vegan Mother Dies

Posted by   + Show Post
BEFORE ONE MORE PERSON BASHES ABOUT HOW THIS POST IS MISLEADING! THE TITLE OF THE POST IS THE TITLE OF THE FIRST ARTICLE. I ORIGINALLY ONLY POSTED THE FIRAT ARTICLE. ANOTHER POSTER TOLD ME ABOUT THE PNEUMONIA ASPECT SO I LOOKED IT UP AND POSTED THE SECOND ARTICLE. THE POST IS NOT MISLEADING IF YOU READ THE WHOLE DAMN THING. IF THE ONLY INFO YOU ARE GOING BY IS THE TITLE, I'M SORRY FOR YOU. BUT I'M NOT CHANGING IT BECAUSE, FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT I'VE EVER SEEN, THERE ARE A MULTITUDE OF WOMEN TALKING ABOUT BREASTFEEDING WITHOUT BASHING EACH OTHER ABOUT FORMULA. THANK YOU.

An 11 month old baby exclusively breastfed by a vegan mother has died and the parents are charged with neglect after an autopsy indicated the baby suffered from deficiencies in vitamin B12 and Vitamin A – both known to be critical to a child’s development.

Vegans have long been advised to take B12 supplements as long term veganism runs the huge risk of serious B12 deficiency as well as other nutrients only found in animal foods such as true Vitamin A. Beta carotene is not true vitamin A nor does it easily convert to adequate amounts of Vitamin A in the body.

While I’m not sure I favor charging the parents in this tragedy as it smacks of Big Brother far too much for my comfort level, it does communicate a clear message to other vegans: abstinence from all animal foods is a danger to one’s health and most particularly, your baby!

It also sends a clear message that what a breastfeeding Mother eats definitely DOES affect the quality of her breastmilk. Many breastfeeding advocates insist that breastmilk will include all a baby needs despite what the Mother eats, but clearly this is not the case.

Traditional cultures took great care to ensure that pregnant and breastfeeding mothers consumed ample amounts of animal foods rich in vitamins A, D, E, K and of course B12. These foods included grassfed butter, pastured eggs, liver, seafood, and fish eggs. Notice that none –NOT ONE of these traditionally sacred foods is plant based!

If you are pregnant and breastfeeding and would like to learn what foods will maximally support the health of your baby while nursing, please check this link for the complete listing of traditionally sacred foods for optimal fetal and baby development. These foods will also ensure the preservation of your own health during pregnancy and lactation which can easily deplete a Mother’s nutritional stores leaving her vulnerable to exhaustion.

*Update: The vegan parents whose baby died as described in this article were convicted by a French court to 5 years in prison.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/baby-breastfed-by-vegan-mother-dies/

Did Homeopathic Medicine, Breast-Feeding and Veganism Kill a Baby?

By Bonnie Rochman April 04, 2011

Alternative medicine is far more commonplace today than it was in the past. Herbs and natural remedies can, in many cases, be effective at soothing colds and addressing muscle aches and plenty of other ailments. But a verdict handed down last week by a French court is a reminder that homeopathic treatment alone is hardly the answer to every health woe. In some cases, it may even be tantamount to child abuse.

Last week, French couple Joel and Sergine Le Moaligou were sentenced to five years in prison for “neglect or food deprivation” after their 11-month-old daughter died due to their failure to follow a doctor’s advice. But due to a suspended sentence, they won’t end up spending any more time behind bars than they already have awaiting trial.

The couple, strict vegans, brought their baby, Louise, to a doctor in Jan. 2008, two months before her death. The doctor suspected pneumonia and directed the couple to get their daughter a chest X-ray. Instead, they returned home and followed recipes they found in their books on natural medicine for mustard, garlic and clay poultices. (More on Time.com: The Government’s Dietary Guidelines Get Guff From All Sides)

The couple’s alternative ‘bible’ was “The Natural Guide to Childhood,” written in 1972 by Jeanette Dextreit, 88, who defended her book in a video link to the court saying it had been written “a long time ago”, according to The Guardian.

“It was a book on (child)rearing not a book of treatment. I didn’t say to consult a doctor if the illness persisted because, for me, that was obvious,” she said.

Louise had been losing weight — she wasn’t even 13 pounds (5.9 kg) at nearly 1 year old — but her parents cancelled an appointment with her doctor. She died about a week later.

The case has attracted considerable attention in Europe, where proponents of both breast-feeding and veganism have rejected the connection made by state prosecutors between the breast-fed baby’s death and her mother’s diet, which was purged of all animal products including eggs and fish. (More on Time.com: Babies Who Start Solids Too Early More Likely To Be Obese)

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends babies be nourished exclusively on breast milk for the first six months; solid foods are gradually introduced one by one after that. It would be highly unusual for an 11-month-old to be solely breast-fed but even moreso in France, where apparently breast-feeding is “something akin to drinking your own urine,” according to commentary from Fiachra Gibbons in The Guardian.

“As a gynaecologist reminded a friend of mine the day she confirmed her pregnancy,” Gibbons wrote, “Your breasts are for your husband, not your baby.”

Perhaps that’s why France’s breast-feeding rate is the lowest of any Western nation. A bestseller, The Conflict: The Woman and the Mother, portrays breast-feeding as a misogynistic practice that hobbles mothers by tying them down to “despotic, gluttonous babies who devour their mothers.” (More on Time.com: Breast-Feeding: It Takes a Village to Help Moms Succeed)

The French may be known for being romantics, but apparently not when it comes to babes-in-arms.
http://healthland.time.com/2011/04/04/did-homeopathic-medicine-breast-feeding-and-veganism-kill-a-baby/

Honestly whether its the mal nutrition or the pneumonia that killed the baby, the stories do bring up a valid point. If you are going to exclusively breastfeed you should be educated and aware of what types of nutrients you need to be intaking to provide nutritious milk.
by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Replies (301-304):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on May. 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Yeah, they were bad parents, but to say they were bad because they were vegan is really wrong. Neglectful parents are neglectful. Being vegan is not neglect. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh. Still don't care, they're still bad parents.

Quoting Anonymous:

The baby did not die from mall nutrition. It was pneumonia. Her parents did not get her adequate medical care. It is a misleading article. She did not die because of a vegan diet. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I know the baby dked from malnutrition because she wasn't taking the supplements she was supposed to take while breastfeeding on a vegan diet, but I don't really care, I think vegitarian and vegan diets are stupid. You can have a healthy lifestyle without completely cutting out en entire food group.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow! Seriously, she did not die from lack of meat. This story is misleading. 

Quoting Anonymous:

No one is the "perfect parent," but I wouldn't let my baby die because I don't like meat.

Quoting Anonymous:

Way to judge based on very little information. I sure hope you are the pefect parent, but I doubt it.

Quoting Anonymous:

These nut jobs shouldn't have kids if they're too dumb to take care of them properly, I'm sure there are signs that something is wrong with your baby if it's suffering from a deficiency that badly and they ignored it.

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Those things are f*cking nasty. Good.... But so nasty.

Quoting Anonymous:

Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol Supplement Drops, Multivitamin with Iron for Infants & Toddlers

#1 Brand Recommended by Pediatricians.

Enfamil® Poly-Vi-Sol® Multivitamin Drops are specially designed to help meet the nutritional needs of your growing infant or toddler.  They are an ideal vitamin supplement during your child's transition to solid foods, during growth spurts, or for the picky eater.  Poly-Vi-Sol Drops (0.5 mL) provide Vitamin D as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics for the exclusively breastfed infant and for infants and toddlers who consume less than 17 fl oz of milk or formula per day.

One daily dose of Poly-Vi-Sol drops provides an excellent source of 8 vitamins and iron and is fruit flavored.  It comes from the makers of Enfamil formulas and is manufactured under strict pharmaceutical standards to assure quality and potency.

Enfamil is the #1 Vitamin Drops brand recommended by pediatricians.  Ask your child's doctor about Poly-Vi-Sol Drops.

http://www.drugstore.com/enfamil-poly-vi-sol-supplement-drops-multivitamin-with-iron-for-infants-and-toddlers/qxp17425

Drops are lactose-free, gluten-free and free of artificial sweeteners.  Contains no Sugar

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I know there are plenty of good parents who are vegan, I never said being vegan made you a bad parent, but I still think it's stupid.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah, they were bad parents, but to say they were bad because they were vegan is really wrong. Neglectful parents are neglectful. Being vegan is not neglect. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh. Still don't care, they're still bad parents.

Quoting Anonymous:

The baby did not die from mall nutrition. It was pneumonia. Her parents did not get her adequate medical care. It is a misleading article. She did not die because of a vegan diet. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I know the baby dked from malnutrition because she wasn't taking the supplements she was supposed to take while breastfeeding on a vegan diet, but I don't really care, I think vegitarian and vegan diets are stupid. You can have a healthy lifestyle without completely cutting out en entire food group.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow! Seriously, she did not die from lack of meat. This story is misleading. 

Quoting Anonymous:

No one is the "perfect parent," but I wouldn't let my baby die because I don't like meat.

Quoting Anonymous:

Way to judge based on very little information. I sure hope you are the pefect parent, but I doubt it.

Quoting Anonymous:

These nut jobs shouldn't have kids if they're too dumb to take care of them properly, I'm sure there are signs that something is wrong with your baby if it's suffering from a deficiency that badly and they ignored it.

GotBot
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:45 PM

"Traditional cultures took great care to ensure that pregnant and breastfeeding mothers consumed ample amounts of animal foods rich in vitamins A, D, E, K and of course B12. These foods included grassfed butter, pastured eggs, liver, seafood, and fish eggs. Notice that none –NOT ONE of these traditionally sacred foods is plant based!"

B 12 is the only vitamin that you mentioned that comes from an animal. The rest are bio available in many vegatables and fruits. You are supposed to continue to take prenatal vitamins while your breastefeed. Thats where the extra nutrients come from. I do. My son is 20 months. Hes fat and happy and a vegatarian. Its a tragedy for certain. 13 lbs at 11 months is horribly small. Poor baby....It isnt veganism at fault. It isnt breastfeeding at fault. Its parenting that has failed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)