Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WAHM's (kinda turned into just looking for some advice lol)

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 7 Replies

What do you do?
How did you find your job/did you need a degree?

How much do you make? I'm looking for approximates. $500/mon vs $1500/mon is a big difference.

I've done the figuring as to just how much it's going to cost for daycare for 3 kids and whether I would work part time or fulltime, my paycheck would be going to daycare and gas to get to and from work/daycare. That doesn't make sense to me so I'm looking for something I can do at home. Thinking about seeing if I can find a family to babysit during the week. Would be a pain to get dd to preschool which is M-W-F, since it would be 4-5 kids to get into the van to take her to school. But if it's income, I would do it. I'd rather try to find something I could do at home for a few hours here and there as I'm able to engage the kiddos in something (coloring, playing in their toyroom, etc.).

I could continue my job I have right now and just work nights during the week, but then I'd never see my hubby and we don't do well when that happens. I also have a direct sales company but it's not consistant and as we sit right now I would need to make at least $500 to cover the bills, not including groceries. But we do have a rather large garden growing right now that I will be making baby food out of and canning/freezing so we won't have to buy any of the crap they sell in the stores. I would also like to be able to get at least half a cow by the end of the year so we can have a full freezer again. Right now all we have is venison, which I can't eat all the time. We're selling off everything we don't need at this point to try to pay off our car loan and other bills before the baby comes. 

I'm excited to be able to stay at home with my kiddos to get them back on track. Every time we have put them into daycare they stop listening to us and we have nothing but issues. The daycare they are at now just lets them play in the basement while she's upstairs watching tv. Ugh. Hoping if I can figure something out work-wise I can pull them within a month or two before something bad happens.

Any advice??

by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Cassie2115
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:30 AM

BUMP!

Cassie2115
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I work for a large insurance company and a number of the positions do allow you telecommute, if not right in the beginning often after a few mnoth-long training period.  I would look at the different websites to see who is hiring.  You just kinda have to watch and apply as things some up.  I actually saw one awhile ago for a company looking for a claims rep from 9:30am-12:30pm.  It was work from home and the add stated, perfect for a mother or person looking for part-time work.  I also have a friend who sell things like silpada Jewelry, Pampered Chef, and adult novelties.  They can actually do pretty well when they are agressive booking parties.  Some have good start up packages and you are often paired with a sales mentor.  It is also fun work if you are a people person.  I actually host occasionally for friends and make my parties "child-friendly", even for the rep.  She brought her daughter to my jewelry party and we had an adorable little 6 year old jewelry model.  She was a hit! People will also do book parties and buy off your personal website so sales can happen even when you aren't actually hosting a formal party.

Cassie2115
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I am already involved in one of the adult novelty companies. Just started a few months ago. I do good at the parties, it's getting the parties I have the issue with. But I'd be looking for something more consistant. Oldest dd will be in preschool from 8-11 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays starting in Sept. That and I despise talking on the phone so that cuts down a little bit too. I wish my mom was still around, I could have done some of the stuff for where she worked - like billing, stuffing envelopes, and data entry and whatnot, stuff I did when she was alive - and she also had her own wedding decorating business that I worked for on the weekends. If I could still do that, I wouldn't have to be trying to find work. 

I had been hoping to just find a fulltime job and work that, but even if I found one at $10/hr, 40 hrs a week, I would make just enough to pay for daycare/school and gas. That was a slap in the face. But now I'm excited to stay home with my kiddos!

Quoting Anonymous:

I work for a large insurance company and a number of the positions do allow you telecommute, if not right in the beginning often after a few mnoth-long training period.  I would look at the different websites to see who is hiring.  You just kinda have to watch and apply as things some up.  I actually saw one awhile ago for a company looking for a claims rep from 9:30am-12:30pm.  It was work from home and the add stated, perfect for a mother or person looking for part-time work.  I also have a friend who sell things like silpada Jewelry, Pampered Chef, and adult novelties.  They can actually do pretty well when they are agressive booking parties.  Some have good start up packages and you are often paired with a sales mentor.  It is also fun work if you are a people person.  I actually host occasionally for friends and make my parties "child-friendly", even for the rep.  She brought her daughter to my jewelry party and we had an adorable little 6 year old jewelry model.  She was a hit! People will also do book parties and buy off your personal website so sales can happen even when you aren't actually hosting a formal party.

Cassie2115
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Also, what sites do you find show the best wah jobs?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I'm not sure what sites are specifically for work at home, but you can probably search for these on monster.com.  For insurance companies you can jsut go to the specific websites like Value Options, Wellpoint, Kaiser...just thinking of the few I know of. 

Quoting Cassie2115:

Quoting Anonymous:

Cassie2115
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not sure what sites are specifically for work at home, but you can probably search for these on monster.com.  For insurance companies you can jsut go to the specific websites like Value Options, Wellpoint, Kaiser...just thinking of the few I know of. 

Quoting Cassie2115:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN