Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Restricting what people buy on FS....*EDIT*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Makes no sense. Its too complicated and would cost MORE money. Their are many reasons why this would be too complicated such as: allergies, medical restrictions and different cultures. To have such a control would be costly.

This is why the government hasn't put restrictions! Putting restrictions isn't going to cut spending either. These recipients will still get the same amount of assistance.

Food stamps should just go away IMO. The government was to be put in place for protection ....not for assistance.

EDIT: When I speak about restrictions I dont just mean pop and candy. Many people group certain cereals, quick meals, cookies, crackers, mixes and so forth which do have some food value. Some people need quick sugar in their diet for medical reasons. Some p Some people are allergic to certain ingredients so they need to be careful of what crackers or cereal to buy. Not everyone has the equipment or the ability to make everything home made...or the time because a lot of them work away from home. Can it be done? Probably. Is it necessary? NO THAT is my point. Its costly and a waste of time IMO

Posted by Anonymous on May. 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Replies (191-200):
Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:05 PM

No, I think as long as it's food, you should be able to buy what you want. I also do not believe that it should be done away with. In this economy, with people struggling to feed their families, they just need some help. I have a friend who is receiving food stamps that has no income. She has done everything she can to find a job, even taken job training classes and going back to school, and she is having no luck. In the area she lives, there is just nothing available (too many people, not enough jobs). She is having to relocate soon and she is freaking out about it because she has lived in the same town her entire life. She can't pay bills so she is relying on help from her family but at least she has a little bit of money to eat. It makes me angry when people get so judgmental over someone that needs PA. The government should help people. With as much as we pay them in taxes and the politicians making a ridiculous amount of money, I would rather my tax dollars go to help a struggling family then into a politician's back pocket.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
jenmomx3
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Quoting briansmommy2010:

That is rarely the case. Most people who sell their food stamps are doing it to buy drugs. Even if that were the case, $50 for toilet paper and tampons. That's absurd.

Quoting jenmomx3:

What if she needed something? Like toilet paper or tampons?? Maybe you could have been a better friend and asked her if she needed something.  If she was willing to give away her FOOD..she probably really needed the actual money.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is what they do. I had a "friend" call me up and ask me if I would be willing to give her $50 and she would take me shopping and buy me $100 worth of groceries with her FS. Of course I said no and was actually shocked that she even asked me that. She knows I am not a fan of welfare to begin with let alone people abusing it. It really pissed me off.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sure they do. I've heard of some people selling their food stamps for money. I can't imagine someone wanting to trade their money for foodstamps though. I guess they must be selling the foodstamps for less than the monetary worth just to have money instead to buy what they want. Desperate people will do anything. :/

Quoting Anonymous:

I wonder how many on FS would somehow find a way to buy their junk if the government did not allow them to buy it with FS. I bet they would find a way somehow.

jenmomx3
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM

And you would know....right?  I was using that an example.  The point that I was making is that a person that doesn't have enough money to buy food, probably doesn't have the money for other necessities either.

Quoting briansmommy2010:

That is rarely the case. Most people who sell their food stamps are doing it to buy drugs. Even if that were the case, $50 for toilet paper and tampons. That's absurd.

Quoting jenmomx3:

What if she needed something? Like toilet paper or tampons?? Maybe you could have been a better friend and asked her if she needed something.  If she was willing to give away her FOOD..she probably really needed the actual money.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is what they do. I had a "friend" call me up and ask me if I would be willing to give her $50 and she would take me shopping and buy me $100 worth of groceries with her FS. Of course I said no and was actually shocked that she even asked me that. She knows I am not a fan of welfare to begin with let alone people abusing it. It really pissed me off.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sure they do. I've heard of some people selling their food stamps for money. I can't imagine someone wanting to trade their money for foodstamps though. I guess they must be selling the foodstamps for less than the monetary worth just to have money instead to buy what they want. Desperate people will do anything. :/

Quoting Anonymous:

I wonder how many on FS would somehow find a way to buy their junk if the government did not allow them to buy it with FS. I bet they would find a way somehow.

jenmomx3
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Not asking if your friend needed anything or needed help makes you a bad friend. Glad you understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

Refusing to do something that is illegal makes me a bad friend.

Okay. Gotcha.

Quoting jenmomx3:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on May. 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Her asking me to do something illegal for her makes her a bad friend. I am not willing to break the law to help a friend. If she had asked to borrow 5 bucks for tampons (or toilet paper or whatever), I would have helped her. Calling me to buy food stamps will piss me off. The end.

You clearly think that me not buying her food stamps or giving her a pity party after what she asked of me is the only thing wrong with this situation. Kind of makes me wonder what kind of person YOU are. Probably the type that sells her food stamps.

Quoting jenmomx3:

Not asking if your friend needed anything or needed help makes you a bad friend. Glad you understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

Refusing to do something that is illegal makes me a bad friend.

Okay. Gotcha.

Quoting jenmomx3:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

MrsWhite101610
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM
I agree

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand where you women find the time to obsess over things like this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on May. 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Just curious, do you count an ex military man and his injured wife who need food stamps as 'beggars'? Ya know, since he was injured protecting his country and all...

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Hey..beggars can't be choosers.

I am kidding tho.. I think restrictions would be a waste of time.

LilliesValley
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I still don't think it's that hard to make a computer program that takes into account certain perameters such as allergies, if you are allergic to this then you automatically get this. You have this health condition you get this program. You have a health condition and an allergy, you are defaulted to this program and then get this substitution. Not hard. Computers can do tons of crazy complex equations, it's not like someone has to sit there and figure this out with a slide ruler. LOL. While the initial cost aspect is there if over the next five years it saves millions or billions of dollars and does a necessary reform than why not?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on May. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I know someone on FS and they eat better than I do! Steaks, seafood. I'm jealous! I wish I qualified for FS so I could eat that well!

bex55
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM

The government does not have the right to dictate what people eat, it is discrimination of the poor, which is unconstitutional. If you want information about why this is not feasible in any way read this document. Your comments about poor people have shown me that I do not wish to continue this discussion. I do not believe in profiling whole groups of people.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/menu/Published/snap/FILES/ProgramOperations/FSPFoodRestrictions.pdf

Quoting bex55:

So the poor are not morons? But they can't be trusted? Definitely some inconsistencies there, in my opinion. There is a valid reason the government can not dictate what people eat, it's called the Constitution.

Quoting Anonymous:

Obviously they're not the only unhealthy foods, but it's a place to start. It appears the FS users can't be trusted to make good decisions, and since they're using government funds to put food on the table, there's no valid reason the government shouldn't have a say in which foods are allowed.

Quoting bex55:

I never said the poor are morons. Why are people so fond of misrepresentation around here? Unless you are the same person. I have no idea bc everyone is anonymous. I am poor. I have a 4.0 GPA about to finish my Bachelor's at a private, tier one, university, I, in no way, think the poor are morons. I worked my ass off to go to this school and do everyday. That said, education is not about being a moron, it's about education. Food systems in this country are atrocious. The candy and soda argument is a joke because those are not the only unhealthy foods available to people. This will never be implemented or be able to be properly regulated.

Quoting Anonymous:

Disagree. The poor aren't morons.

Quoting bex55: 

I am not trying to attack you instead of your argument. I am stating that when you misrepresent someone it forces one to question your logic. I am not disguising an Ad Hominem attack, I am pointing out the flaw in mis-quoting me. The poor need education and resources, not judgment or dictatorships.And with that I am done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN