Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To the people that live in areas prone to tornados...especially those in OK

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

How much of a warning is given before a tornado touches down?

Anyone in OK, was there a warning that a tornado was possible today?

I'm just wondering... if this storm was predicted early on, why would anyone send their kids to school?

And lastly...why would ANYONE live in an area of the country called "Tornado Alley"? 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
sheellyyo
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Why do people live in Hurricane Alleys?  Have Beach houses, or where there can be a Avalanche.  There is no rime or reason why people are living where they live.  I live in Oklahoma cause this is my home.  Its a very sad day here.  The state cannot shut down cause of bad weather predicted.  We didn't get a drop of rain but we were surrounded in every direction with bad weather and tornado's.  I am so sorry those kids in the school lost their lives.  I am also sorry for all the others whom have Perished. 

TishHughes
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:28 PM
2 moms liked this

You don't get long warnings with tornados. They just happen.

And why would anyone live in Tornado Alley? IDK, why would anyone live in Hawaii, California, Louisiana, Florida, North Carolina or anywhere else where they have bad weather.

Why would anyone live in Detroit, New Orleans or Chicago where there are HUMAN killers.

People who keep asking these foolish questions are just idiots. Plain and simple. Fucking idiots.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on May. 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

people people. .. watches & warnings are two different things. Watches means conditions are favorable & could cause a tornado.. .warnings mean one has actually been spotted.

TishHughes
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM

In Bikini Bottom......................apparently.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

so. . .where are we suppose to live? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes!

Quoting RightSock:

Do you ask this of people who live in hurricane prone areas? How about earthquake prone areas? Snowstorm prone areas? What about wildfire prone areas? 

Blessedlife79
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Where do you want people to live? Here in FL we have tornado's, sinkholes, hurricanes. Up north Blizzards, hurricanes. California earthquakes. Midwest tornado's. Shit happens everywhere. Should we evacuate the whole US then? Good god I'm getting tired of hearing people say crap like this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM

There is plenty of notice before a tornado hits.  You can see a storm developing on the radar, you can tell if the weather is right.  The clouds start rotating all crazy like.  Generally there are sirens.  They actually call tornado warnings when the conditions are right for a tornado.  Either one has touched the ground or funnel clouds have been spotted.  Funnel clouds don't necessarily lead to tornados, but its a pretty good indication.  So many lives are lost because people don't take it seriously.  More often then not, a warning is a false alarm.  I know a lot of people that go outside and look at the sky when a warning has gone off.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM

We were sideswiped by a large tornado where I live in central nc a few years ago. We knew to expect strong storms and they were predicting tornadoes, which aren't that common around here. It was a Saturday, and as the storms approached, we were glued to the TV. We had about 40 minutes warning that the tornado had formed, and was headed our way if it stayed on the ground. We watched the radar and predicted path as it got closer to us, and got the closet ready, the pets to safety (they don't all get along so were in a couple places) and when the weather alert went off on our phones simultaneously, we went to the closet. 2 minutes later the power went out and the tornado went about a mile south of our house, right over the elementary school where I work, and through the neighborhoods where my students lived. The school fared pretty well, but we were closed for a couple days until power was restored and repairs made. The mobile home park was a mess, and about a dozen homes were a total loss. It was scary as hell.  But we had a lot of warning, and that surely saved lives. I'll try to find some pics. 

illinoismommy83
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My MIL told me tornadoes highly likely last night according to radar. We had a weather prediction for at least 24 hours. I agree with everything you said, but apparently it makes me "heartless" and "a bitch" to even mention that living in a dangerous area could be dangerous.

Tornado coverage counts as wind damage on your homeowners insurance. Even without supplemental insurance, basic homeowners policies all include structure, belongings, and a place to stay if your home is destroyed. The majority survived, so its just going to be a clean up, grab the stuff from the safety deposit box, and restart again. It sucks, but its just stuff. 

I'm sorry for those who died, especially the children who did not choose to live there. I hope the rest paid their insurance and can restart. 

And OP, I'm sorry to you for all of the vicious women who will rip you apart. Apparently it is not PC to discuss bad decisions after tragedy hits.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on May. 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM

but then you got plankton. . .& he causes ALL kinds of trouble ;)

Quoting TishHughes:

In Bikini Bottom......................apparently.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

so. . .where are we suppose to live? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes!

Quoting RightSock:

Do you ask this of people who live in hurricane prone areas? How about earthquake prone areas? Snowstorm prone areas? What about wildfire prone areas? 

"Sing it out, sing it out, take what is left of me & make it a melody, Sing it out, sing out loud, cant' find the words to sing, You 'd be my remedy, my soul, my soul, I'll sing with what's left of me" Switchfoot

hopeym23
by J3 on May. 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Sometimes you can't help where you live.  Maybe you can't afford to move.  Maybe you grew up there and all your family is there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)