Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I let my DD drop out of school UPDATE!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 112 Replies
1 mom liked this

She applied for the internship of her dreams last year and she got accepted! The only problem is they are now requiring a diploma or GED. (Something that was not mentioned to her or me when she applied). So we decided it was best for her to drop out of high school get her GED and do the internship. She will get college credit and will be able to start other classes over the summer at the University if she accepts the internship. She was already going to graduate a semester early and now she will be starting a year early. 

Would you do the same thing? Is getting diploma more important than passing up an oppertunity and starting college earlier?

Update: she has started her internship and she LOVES it! We are both glad she went this route!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on May. 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM
8 moms liked this

I would encourage my child to follow his dreams where ever they take him. Unless its a crack house. that dream would have to go.

Congrats to your daughter!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Why can't she apply again once she is done with school?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM
11 moms liked this

I would make my kid get her diploma. I don't associate a GED with positive things, that's my opinion.

squish
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM

As long as she finished a bachelor's it will never be a problem! :) I know many people who opted for a GED and started college early. I wish I had done the same! 

hopeym23
by J3 on May. 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I got my GED and am now back in school to become a first or second grade teacher.  What is negative about that?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would make my kid get her diploma. I don't associate GED with positive things, that's my opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM

She would not be eligible because she would have already started taking classes. The internship is for people just starting the program. It seems silly I think. 

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Why can't she apply again once she is done with school?

keyawin
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM

GED tests are hard. And I wouldn't want her to miss out on her senior yr, but at the same time I would want her to be happy

britadams10
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:00 PM

whatever is best for your child, go for it!

Josie_P
by on May. 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM

We don't have GED tests here so she'd have to finish high school. Or vocational school, which this doesn't sound like.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 20, 2013 at 10:02 PM
2 moms liked this
I did they same thing at age 16. I ended up with my Bachelors degree at age 19..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN