Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hysterectomy

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM
  • 16 Replies

If you've had a hysterectomy I have a couple questions, if you don't mind answering them.

How old were you?

Did you take hormones after? 

What was the recovery like? 

How have you been since the hysterectomy?

I'm almost 25, I have stage 1 endometriosis, I had blood clots in my lungs in 07 so I cannot do any form of hormones to help the endo. I have tried vitamins/supplements, pain killers, D&C, uterine ablation. They've gone in & taken out endometrial tissue 3 times already in the past 2 years. My doctor finally started bringing up the idea of a hysterectomy, which is fine with me. Get that shit out. I'm done having kids & all its doing is causing me pain. 

by on May. 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DannieLou
by Mockingjay on May. 21, 2013 at 2:40 AM

I'm interested in some information myself. So, here's a bump.

guerrera221
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Ditto. Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Also interested, bump.

FlyingHottie
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:43 AM

BUMP!

cjsix
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:45 AM

if you pm me and give me maybe a week or so i promise i will try to answer as much as i can. but give me time as right now i have been pretty sick with one thing all last week while dd was sick with something else...as of today i have what she had....including the upset tummy and high fever....

natekenna
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:47 AM
I had a hysterectomy in Nov 2012 @ 32.
My dr tried the laparoscopy way and had issues ( she said my uterus was cemented to my stomach) so she had to cut me open like c-section.
If laparoscopy way they say 2 weeks... other way is 6-8 weeks. Mine was on a monday.. tuesday I was up walking.
No hormones.. still have my ovaries :)
This is the best I've ever felt.. am so happy I did it.
JessT5280
by MileHigh Mom on May. 21, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Yes. Let me get to a computer ... Lol

Okay .. 

I had my partial hyst when I was 24. I had stage 4 endo with 4 prior laps done to burn off adhesion's, as well as 18mos of lupron depo injections to put me into a chemical menopause. Like you, I've had PE's as well, and am unable to take BC (Turns out, I have 3 clotting disorders - found that out after my last pregnancy when I threw a clot at 9wks). So .. anyway. I had the partial - they left in my ovaries. Recovery wasn't that bad .. about 2-3 weeks because it was a lap assisted vaginal hysterectomy. I think 5 incisions? Best decision I ever made!! My periods were HORRENDOUS .. and then .. bam .. none lol! 
Since then (I'm 30 now) I've ended up having to have my right ovary removed due to endo. My last surgery was in 2011 and during that one, they found that my left ovary was attached to the abdominal wall, covered in adhesion's (also had them all over my bowels .. ugh it was horrible). The surgeon damaged the remaining ovary and now I'm taking .5mg of estradiol to deal with the hot flashes. I have to monitor my INR very closely (weekly) to make sure my blood is thin enough. I've recently started having increased pain, and surprisingly, vaginal bleeding - and it looks like I have some endometriomas that need to be removed soon (and probably the left ovary as well). 
If you have any other questions - feel free to msg me. :)  

want10more
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:48 AM
1 mom liked this

i'm gettin one soon and can't WAIT! i am 43, 6 kids. i won't need hormones as i will still have ovaries. the recovery will take about 2 weeks or so, and i will be very glad to be w/o my extra owwie parts!

my sister had one at about 42. 8 yrs ago. she has no problems now with hormones even tho she's going thru menopause. the recovery took her about 2 weeks before she could lift over 5 lbs. she's been much happier.

my mom had one done when she was about 41. 30 yrs ago. she hasn't needed hormone therapy either, even thru menopause. her recovery took about 6 weeks. she's healthier than i am. she's 71 now, and still no problems.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Quoting natekenna:

I had a hysterectomy in Nov 2012 @ 32.
My dr tried the laparoscopy way and had issues ( she said my uterus was cemented to my stomach) so she had to cut me open like c-section.
If laparoscopy way they say 2 weeks... other way is 6-8 weeks. Mine was on a monday.. tuesday I was up walking.
No hormones.. still have my ovaries :)
This is the best I've ever felt.. am so happy I did it.

I'm HOPING I can keep my ovaries. Right now my endo has only been growing on my uterus, so if we can just take out the utuerus that would make me very happy

starlight91
by on May. 21, 2013 at 4:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I had one at age 29,(8 1/2 yrs ago) had my ovaries out to.. No hormone replacement. Took 6-8 weeks recovery time..   Hot flashes and night sweats. Love not having a period anymore...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured