Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Those who live in tornado alley

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 5:53 AM
  • 80 Replies
What keeps you there? I live in Virginia I'm very fascinated with storms but I think I would have a heart attack if I actually went through a major one. I always say I could never live in tornado alley.
by on May. 21, 2013 at 5:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Born and raised here and tornadoes are very fascinating and fun to chase
sheena696
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 6:04 AM

I don't live in tornado alley, but tornado watches and warnings are a common thing where I live too. My town was hit during the April 27th storms and we lost over 30 people here. (North Alabama) I can say that as scary as they are, I'm not going to let it run me away from living somewhere I love. I've lived here my whole life. I can say that if we ever decided to move, I would definitely keep in mind the weather patterns of that area before we settled down somewhere. 

Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 6:04 AM
I would venture to bet most were born and raised there and are just used to the storms. I was born and raised in central Virginia and central NC... I am used to storms and hurricanes, and now that I live in Okinawa I am even more used to them.
VannaMae307
by on May. 21, 2013 at 6:06 AM

I was raised there, in Moore, OK that just got hit. There are a LOT of tornadoes that happen but they are not all to this degree.

SageAdvice
by on May. 21, 2013 at 6:08 AM
12 moms liked this

Interesting question that shows the typical risk assessment of many. Why do people live in areas with faults? Why do people live near oceans that could have tidal waves or hurricanes? Why do people live in deserts where water is scare?

More to the point would be why do people play the lottery? The chances of being hit by a tornado inside the center of "tornado alley" is less then the chances of winning the lottery ten times.

The odds are that even if you live inside this area, you will never even see a tornado. Living in the southern coastal towns there is a certainty you will be hit by a hurricane. Do people run in fear there? Some may, but a rational human will see the risk is very low.

The weather is awesome in this area 99% of the time. I like a little rain once in awhile.

If people were to stop living in Tornado Alley, then that would mean abandoning some of the richest farmland in the world. That region isn't also know as the Breadbasket of the country for nothing. If everyone vacated Tornado Alley because of a few tornadoes every year, there would be very little wheat, corn, milo, alfalfa, canola, soy, peanuts, oats, cattle, pigs, natural gas, and oil. There would also be very little plaster, drywall, fertilizer and other things made from the gypsum that is mined in the midwest.

We live in Tornado Alley because it's our home. The chances of getting hit and killed by a tornado even in Tornado Alley are much lower than the chances of getting killed while driving a car to work. No one here worries much about it.

There is NO where that is not subject to some sort of natural disaster. Weather it be flooding, wildfires, earthquakes, volcanoes, or hurricanes, everywhere has to deal with something. So, you will not find a place to live where there is not some sort of danger. The important thing is building responsibly so as to minimize the danger as much as possible. 

And finally . . . . The “point probability” of direct strike by a tornado is pretty small. But there are an awful lot of tornadoes and “points” in the U.S., so during the peak of the season, at least five a day are touching down somewhere in the U.S. Many tornado researchers have never seen a tornado. Nationwide, the chances of being killed by a tornado are 1 in 5,000,000.

Osstie
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 6:08 AM

If it isn't tornadoes, its hurricanes or earthquakes though. I mean its kind of like choose your disaster.

TrouserMouse
by on May. 21, 2013 at 6:12 AM
I have lived in this area for 36 years and have never been in an actual tornado. You guys act like stuff like this happens everyday. If it wasn't unusual, it wouldn't be on the news.
justpeachy71904
by peachy on May. 21, 2013 at 6:15 AM
you know there is a risk of storms in every area of every state and country across the globe. Be it tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, you name it. You cannot out run mother nature.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on May. 21, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Same reason I live along the gulf coast where 6 months out of the year we have to worry about hurricanes. It's their home, where they grew up, where their friends and family live. Where their jobs are, their memories.

Natural disasters happen everywhere, there is something in every state be it earthquakes to forest fires to floods to hurricanes and tornados, there is always a risk and we just have to learn to adapt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heavenlybliss19
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 6:26 AM
This is where I was born and raised, it's home. No matter where you go, there's gonna be something there to threaten your life. Tornadoes I know... I'd be too scared to live in hurricane prone areas or places that get a lot of blizzards.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)