Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Don't Be Sad, They're all in Heaven Now

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 325 Replies
52 moms liked this
So, the other thread where I was having this discussion wasn't really the appropriate thread for it, so I'm starting my own.

To every person who has ever looked at a bunch of children dying and said "No worries, they're safe and peaceful in Heaven now" before even all of the bodies have been recovered, I'd like to offer a hearty Fuck You.

Yes. I think you're disgusting. I think that you're demeaning the pain of the rest of the world by saying that these deaths are no big deal. I think that everyone who passed around the picture that said that the Sandy Hook kids got the best Christmas present EVER, getting to spend it with God, should be dragged out onto the street and beaten. I think that you're disrespectful of the fact that these kids might not even be Christian, and you're uncaring to the fact that their parents and families are hurting. I think that you have no real empathy, no real aspect of caring at all, and that you simply want to appear pious and faithful.

Nobody who has lost a child wants to hear "s/he's safe with God now." At least, not for the first few days.

And as for this tragedy in specific? This natural disaster? Yeah, you're saying that those kids are "safe and peaceful" with the God who literally pointed a finger at their schools and killed them all. So no, I wouldn't want my children to spend eternity with someone who was responsible for their death. And if you genuinely believe that they're "safe with God" now, then you also genuinely believe that God is omnipotent and that natural disasters are part of His Plan.

**PSA** This would be directed to all religions, except Christians are the only ones I've found who think it's keen to diminish a parents grief with a meaningless platitude that the parents may or may not believe. Additionally, I know that most Christians are not this callous. This is only to those who think that this is a helpful thing to say. Hopefully next time they'll think again.

**ETA** I just want to clear up one thing. I don't believe any Gods consciously created that tornado. That's nature, it's how it works. I'm sorry if that was an offensive statement. All I'm saying is that if you believe God is omnipotent, and then you say that these kids are with God, it's just like saying "God killed them, so they could come Home." That's how those statements feel to me anyway.
by on May. 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM
4 moms liked this
Theres going to people give you trouble over this post, but I agree with you
starlight91
by on May. 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM
6 moms liked this

Thats your opinion, not everyone needs to have the same opinion as you... So for the religous ones who believe that the babies are heaven , you have the right to believe that, just as she has the right to believe they are not in heaven.

km1970
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM
5 moms liked this

I agree. The last thing that I wanted to hear when my son died was that he was in a better place or in the arms of God. Don't get me wrong, it's comforting 10 years later to think and hear that, but in those first few moments, days, weeks, months and years...it was like a slap in the face.

AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I know, but I just get so very mad.
Thanks for agreeing. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Theres going to people give you trouble over this post, but I agree with you
stephiebugg
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Seek help

LectioDivina
by on May. 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Hmm... I don't know.

Not everyone wants to be spared of hearing it.

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on May. 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Everyone has their own opinion :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rjcdm
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

i agree with you too.

LectioDivina
by on May. 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM
8 moms liked this

Wanting to believe that your child is at peace and that you will see them again brings some people comfort.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)