Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breastfeeding until 2 or 3? WHY?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 426 Replies

I just read this:

TV Star’s Stance on Extended Breastfeeding May Shock Her Fans

Do you, did you, or do you plan to, breastfeed for an extended period?

Do you think there's any real benefit to doing so if they kid's able to walk into the kitchen and get real nourishment elsewhere?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM
16 moms liked this
I have breastfed to 2 1/2. My current nursling is only 5 months, but will nurse until she self weans as well.

And yes, science proves there are benefits.
findingserenity
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM
3 moms liked this
why not?whats wrong with that?
knix03
by on May. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM
6 moms liked this

I only breastfed till teeth came into play then I was done. 

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM
6 moms liked this
I breastfeed my 21 month old.
It's beneficial health wise and comforting for him. He mostly nurses at night, first thing in the morning and nap time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM
11 moms liked this

Extended breast feeding is absolutely ridiculous. It's serves more purpose for the selfish mother doing it than the child itself. 

shilohsmommy215
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM
4 moms liked this
I will breastfeed until she self weans
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 21, 2013 at 3:47 PM
3 moms liked this

I had a friend who breastfed til her son was 6...she still to this day blames my son, a year older, for her son stopping....One day he ran up, at a playgound, lifted his mom's shirt, and started nursing. My son, then 7, was shocked and said something....dont know what. Her son would not breastfeed after that and it tore the mom to pieces. She was also breastfeedng her 4 1/2 year old dd, her 3 year old son, and a newborn...it was like she was a dog-they were all over her, up her shirt, all day....I never "got it", and it pissed her off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 21, 2013 at 3:47 PM
10 moms liked this

Oh my goodness I can't stand when kids and I mean kids are sucking on tits!  How does this not make people a little weirded out?  I understand it's healthy and all but come on people the kid is going to be traumatized when he is a teenager and he finds out he was sucking on his moms tit when he was 5yrs old.  Can you say therapy?

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on May. 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM
7 moms liked this

I breastfed both my kids just a wee bit over 2 years.  WHO actually recommends it. They still get healthy benefits past a year.

jen_keiko
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM
3 moms liked this

i nursed dd until she was about 2 1/2, when she started preschool. pedi said it was great and i did research and found that it showed health benefits to extended nursing. i weaned her off b/c she was using it to fall asleep and i couldn't be there for her at naptime at preschool :p and at 2 1/2 she could not, and was not allowed, just walk into the kitchen for a snack.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)