Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

yearly income.......this is the poverty line?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 531 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was just reading on yahoo that after doing polls people think the poverty line for a family of 4 should be $58,000. I was reading the comments and the amount of people saying how a family of 4 could never survive on $58,000 and they would need way more.

We are a family of 4 and I am a SAHM. We have a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath house, 2 cars, not on PA of any kind, and kids get everything they need and most thing they want. We even have money left over at the end of every month and we make $35,000 a year. We live in Missouri

How much do you make and could you live on $58,000?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
We couldn't make it. No way!!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 21, 2013 at 6:58 PM
We make about 80k together and could exist on 58k but would have to move. We were unwise with spending years ago and will be out of debt but for a mortgage in two years, but a reduction now would hurt us tremendously.
celestegood
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, that's dependent upon where you live.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Love060708kids
by on May. 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

58k a year is more than my husband makes.

I'm a stay at home mom.  We have two vehicles paid off. 

We are a family of six and he makes about 43k a year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

That's true, we are in Missouri 

Quoting celestegood:

Well, that's dependent upon where you live.

saraface5383
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Yeah no. You wouldn't make it here, we make enough to not have to worry about stuff.
JustBreath2013
by on May. 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Lol we make 56000 as a family of 8...... mi,itary...mind you insurance is included but we are doing awesome in NC
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Dh makes 110k a year AFTER TAXES and after medical insurance and dental insurance are paid and retirement. We are a family of three. We have major debt so it's basically like we have two mortgages instead of one so we struggle a lot. I still have everything I want we just don't have the money to take vacations and stuff and that really bothers me. But I can go clothes shopping and I can go to target and drop 400$ occasionally. I don't think we are poor by any means but I wish we saw more of what dh makes.
HelloKitty86
by on May. 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

We are a family of 7, and we make $30,000 a year. We deal, but it can be hard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM
5 moms liked this

I live on Long Island and we make 135k a year.  We live in a small modest home that is paid off, no debt, huge taxes and extremely high cost of living(food, gas, everything). Our health insurance is sky high as well. 58k for a family of 4 here would be poverty.  A single person with NO family has to make about 70k to live here ok.  Any family living under 100k is struggling. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)