Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what to do when the special needs kid is the bully?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 482 Replies
Really what does one do? Just take it because the other child is autistic?

Does the normal Child not have as much right to a stress free education as the special needs child does?

ETA, yes it seems like my child is being targeted! Whenever the other child has a chance or is near my child he goes violent. He does have his own TA assigned it all happens in a blink of an eye, or when he pushes her out of the way. My child even refuses to wear a white shirt to school because what if so and so hits him makes his nose bleed again. The teacher and TA assigned to him have been the most helpful in keeping distance between them but its not always possible.

ETA 2, I have another meeting on Friday. I'm learning so much from all these replies and getting all the tips and info.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 3:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Please help
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 22, 2013 at 3:37 AM
25 moms liked this
A lot of SN children have violent outbursts, but it is directed at anyone and anything close, it's not personal, so it's not "bullying."

But yes, every child deserves a safe and as stress-less of a learning environment as possible.

The SN child should be removed before escalating to the violence, there are usually signs a child is reaching his or her limit. The school really should be on top of this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 3:43 AM
That's the problem it has become a violent situation

Every talk with administrators leads to the same thing of us being understanding to this other child and his problems. The only one cooperating is the teacher she does her best to keep distance between them. I have heard the other mom threatens law suit every single time her child is reprimanded. Should I get a lawyer to? Restraining order? I don't know what else

Quoting Anonymous:

A lot of SN children have violent outbursts, but it is directed at anyone and anything close, it's not personal, so it's not "bullying."

But yes, every child deserves a safe and as stress-less of a learning environment as possible.

The SN child should be removed before escalating to the violence, there are usually signs a child is reaching his or her limit. The school really should be on top of this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 22, 2013 at 3:46 AM
3 moms liked this
How much longer this school year? It may not be worth stirring the pot (or the lawyer bill) with just a couple weeks left.

Next year, definitely make sure your child is in a separate class, you can get your lawyer involved then. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Every talk with administrators leads to the same thing of us being understanding to this other child and his problems. The only one cooperating is the teacher she does her best to keep distance between them. I have heard the other mom threatens law suit every single time her child is reprimanded. Should I get a lawyer to? Restraining order? I don't know what else

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Not until July. My child can't take another minute even losses sleep over it.

Quoting Anonymous:

How much longer this school year? It may not be worth stirring the pot (or the lawyer bill) with just a couple weeks left.

Next year, definitely make sure your child is in a separate class, you can get your lawyer involved then. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

kayleyrae90
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 3:49 AM
2 moms liked this
This is such a hard situation! We had a kid in high school with Down syndrome and he was in choir with us.
He always smacked all the girls butts and said really inappropriate things and because he had DS nothing was ever done about it. Awkward! None of us wanted to be rude to him but he was always such a jerk to us.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 22, 2013 at 3:51 AM
Then go for it.

My kids' last day is this Thursday, so thats why I asked.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 3:52 AM
2 moms liked this
I just don't understand don't the parents of kids like this realize the stress they cause to other children just as precious as their own!

Quoting kayleyrae90:

This is such a hard situation! We had a kid in high school with Down syndrome and he was in choir with us.

He always smacked all the girls butts and said really inappropriate things and because he had DS nothing was ever done about it. Awkward! None of us wanted to be rude to him but he was always such a jerk to us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Is that a normal thing to do though? And what kind of lawyer should I get litigation, discrimination? I would be directly suing the other parent not the school.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then go for it.

My kids' last day is this Thursday, so thats why I asked.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)