Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom Wastes $35K a Year on Designer Wardrobe for Son

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 161 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mom Wastes $35K a Year on Designer Wardrobe for Son

by Mary Fischer

boyYou know how sometimes you hear something that makes you shake your head so hard you wind up all dizzy? Yeah, that's how I felt after hearing about a mom who spends thousands on her 8-year-old son's wardrobe -- and is actually proud of it.

Vicky Antonia is so dead set on her son Zak being dressed to the nines that she admits shelling out over £20,000 on designer name clothes for him. (That's $35,000 a year. OMG.)

Want to know why? Because she apparently likes "dressing him like a doll."

(For reals.)

And when I say designer -- I mean designer. Some of the labels in Zak's closet include Armani, Prada, Gucci, Burberry, and the list goes on.

Of her decision to outfit her son in the best attire money can buy, Vicky says, "I know it must sound like I am spoiling him, but I just want him to look his best, what is wrong with making your son look good? I just didn't know that there was any other way. I didn't think to get him clothes from anywhere else."

Ok, so it's obvious this mom has more disposable income than any of us can hope to have over the course of a lifetime -- but is she nuts?!?

Does she not a.) realize how fast little boys grow out of their clothes, and/or b.) understand that boys are basically magnets for things like grass stains and food spills?

Ever since my son was a baby, I've stuck to stores like Target and Old Navy to purchase all of his clothes, unless he needs some sort of fancier outfit for a special occasion. Sure, some of the pricier brand names offer really cute pieces in their lines -- but I just can't justify spending over $20 or so on something that will likely only be worn a few times before it becomes too small or gets ruined in one way or another.

And don't even bother trying to tell me I'd feel differently if I were a gazillionaire or something like that. Even if I'd been the lucky woman who won the $600 million Powerball jackpot Saturday night -- I still wouldn't shop at high-end stores for my son. Any way you look at it, spending that much on a kid is basically like taking money and flushing it directly into the toilet. And even if you have a lot of it -- who wants to waste it like that?

You never know when your circumstances can change and it can all be taken away in an instant, so isn't it a good rule of thumb to hold off on throwing it away on children's clothes -- at least until they're teenagers and stop growing? (Or until they turn 18 and get a job and can buy their own clothes. That's an even better plan.)

Do you spend a lot of money on your kids' clothes?

by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on May. 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM
5 moms liked this

Yeah, I wouldn't spend that much on my kid's clothes, hell, I wouldn't spend that much on my clothes. I'd much rather spend that money traveling and exposing my kids to other places around the world, but to each their own. She can do what she wants with her money. 

momto3B
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM
4 moms liked this

People spend money on what is important to them and if she has the funds, I guess she is just fueling the economy. Not remotely what I do, but not such a surprise. 

Even if she can afford it, the biggest concern is the questionable values she is instilling in her son.  That said, wealthy people have been spending like that since there has been wealth. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM
No. Honestly we do have disposable income and I could probably get nicer clothes than I do. But dd is 8, she grows out of clothes so quickly that it seems silly to spend a lot on them. We usually go with Old Navy or Kohl's.
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM

No, I don't. I like my children to be dressed nice, and I do love labels, but I usually buy them secondhand. But who knows what I would and wouldn't buy if I had the money. Its obviously not a "waste" for her. Her money, she can spend it on whatever she wants.

Rhodin
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM
15 moms liked this
I'd like to be that lady's neighbor with a slightly younger son. >.>
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM
She has the money to spend. It's her money. Idgaf.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM
3 moms liked this

Don't hate because you have to clothe your kids from Target and Walmart.

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM
2 moms liked this
It is her money. He is her child. I don't really see the problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM

While I do get them nice clothes and for special occasions I may get some designer ones, for day to day wear Target or Kohl's will do.  No matter how much I pay for the clothes, they are kids(7 and 5) and new clothes can be ruined(stained) in one day.  DD spends much of her time on her knees so they get holes in them.  The benefit of that is I can cut them off to make shorts since most still fit in the waist.

nichole_erin
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:36 AM
I don't see the big deal... Her money, her priorities. You really think she's the first person to spend that much on a child? If she has the funds to make it happen, why is that anybody else's business? Because you (general you) buy your clothes at target and old navy, everyone else should do the same because that's the only smart answer? I hate how people think these days. "If they don't do exactly what I do, they're wrong."
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN