Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They were having sex and I didn't even know!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies
5 moms liked this
If you refuse to talk to your children about sex and don't let them participate in sex education at school, don't be surprised and shocked when you find out they're having sex behind your back!

It amazes me how many moms refuse to educate their children about sex and won't let them participate in sex education at school because they're too embarrassed, it has something to do with their religion, or they believe if they avoid the subject, their children won't have sex. Guess what? You just made something extremely fascinating to them because it's such a forbidden topic and now, being curious and hormonal teens, they have to find out what the big deal is.

Just because you tell them sex is something between a married couple and leave it at that doesn't mean they're going to believe the same thing. Children have their own minds and it's important to encourage open communication starting at an early age without fear of embarrassment or anger.

Do you encourage open communication with your children?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM

true

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM
2 moms liked this

I talked to my kid about sex all the time, nor did I claim a fallacy that it was between two married people.

I told him with sex it's much more than a physical act that pleases both. You give a little bit of your soul to that person. You will have shared the most intimate moment of your life with them. So do it with someone you want to have all those things.

And wear a condom.

I never put importance on marriage or virginity. I don't personally think those things matter, having lost mine at 14 and having gotten married when he was 6

And, looks like I won't be the grammy to a teen dad. So I think I did my job right.

LoveNaCupcake
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

My parents were that way and because of my lack of education when it came to sex I didn't know how to protect myself and make sure my partner was using protection. I blame me getting pregnant partialy on that fact. Parent's assume that by telling their kids not to have sex they won't and that will be that, but what if your child decides to have sex? You can't let them go out into the world unprepared and uneducated.

jbirdsladie27
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Yes, about EVERYTHING
FarmWife
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:05 AM
3 moms liked this

Just because a parent refuses to allow their children to participate in school sanctioned sex ed, doesn't mean they're at home telling them, "Only married people do this." It's not a "dirty pillows" mentality to want to educate your children on sex yourself. If we lived in a larger school system I wouldn't allow my children to participate in all of sex ed. But my children will know about birth control, STD's, abstenence, and they do come to me with questions. I just don't trust a system that can't teach basic reading skills to teach my children about sex. 

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:05 AM
2 moms liked this

We always had open discussions about sex, birth control, abortion, and so on.

It must have worked, my kids are 31, 23, 19 and 18 - not only no pregnancies, but no pregnancy scares.  All have been sexually active since around 17.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on May. 22, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I was never given talks about sex specifically and I was never told why I should wait or any of that. It was talked about as far as being in ear shot and all I heard was how great it was and how fun it was. My dad's girlfriend would also always call me Virgin Val and make fun of me. So, no surprise, I discarded my virginity as soon as I got a chance to do it. My children are properly educated for their ages and will stay educated. I will also hopefully teach my children to value that first time and share it with someone that means something.

pregnancy

LovelyMommy24
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I agree and yes I will have open communication with them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM
My kids are too young for that right now but I do encourage them to talk to me and keep open communication (as much as they can right now. When the time comes I will gladly talk to them but I will not send them to any sex Ed class or allow them to participate in one.
To me sex ed is just another thing to pawn off on someone else instead of being a responsible parent.
starlight91
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree and have a 17 yr old  that has had sex, we talked, I took her to dr, got her on bc.. My 13 yr old we have talked but shes not ready for bc, but knows to come to me when shes ready...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN