Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why staying on PA and being a SAHM is easier

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 248 Replies
4 moms liked this

After being a SAHM for the past 5 years I decided to return to the working world. I'm thankful to have a job and one that offers benefits. Medicaid was our only form of PA.

Pay = 13.25 * 40 = $530 week

Daycare = $310 week ($110 for 3 year old, $105 for 5 year old, $100 for two 9 and 10 year old)

Insurance = $79 week health, dental, vision

Fuel = $65 week

$76 left over for taxes which I'm sure will be more than that.

*sigh*

On the bright side once school goes back in session daycare will reduce drastically.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angevil53
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 12:06 PM
3 moms liked this
I know many see medical as pa but i think everyone should have medical. Yes it's expensive to work sometimes, it's expensive to stay home if your family doesn't qualify for pa. For me to work it would basically be a draw. I will return to work though later when my babies are older.
wonderstruck11
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 12:06 PM
9 moms liked this
That is why we decided I would be a SAHM. My entire paycheck would have gone to child care.
gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM
3 moms liked this

That is why I don't work. With 4 kids more than my paycheck would go to Childcare. So I work from home and take other people's paychecks! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Is it even worth it?
notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM

change shifts?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 12:11 PM
6 moms liked this
My response to that is, don't have so many kids you can't afford.
trailerrrtrash
by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm on PA and I'm a sahm. People have their judgements. There are 6 kids here. If I went to work, the daycare would literally cost more than what I'd make. I DID look for work anyway, though, hoping I could find something during school hours and having a family member watch the youngest...no one wants to hire someone who has no work experience in the past 10 years. And then where are the kids going to go during the summer?

We weren't on PA when we had our kids...and I hate being on it. I have no problem working, but at this point, my working would be more expensive than my staying home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM
7 moms liked this
Well, I only had the amount of kids I could afford. I have no sympathy for SAHMs on PA and I'm a SAHM.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM
6 moms liked this
OMG, your sn really fits you.

Quoting trailerrrtrash:

I'm on PA and I'm a sahm. People have their judgements. There are 6 kids here. If I went to work, the daycare would literally cost more than what I'd make. I DID look for work anyway, though, hoping I could find something during school hours and having a family member watch the youngest...no one wants to hire someone who has no work experience in the past 10 years. And then where are the kids going to go during the summer?

We weren't on PA when we had our kids...and I hate being on it. I have no problem working, but at this point, my working would be more expensive than my staying home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Why have so many kids then?

Quoting trailerrrtrash:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)