Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband wants to make us completely broke!

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 272 Replies
1 mom liked this

Grrrr....im frustrated, and perplexed...

After all our bills are paid my husband and I have $300.00 in our checking account plus a little uncounted cash that couldn't amount to more than $100 combined.  

It was my son's birthday so things are a little tight this pay period, we drove several hours away and spent the weekend in the city, chuck e cheese and the henry doorly zoo.   

We still have some expenses to get through the next 9 days until the 1st.  Things like gasoline, groceries and those little things that ad up quickly, you know what im talking about- those small expenses that you can hardly put your finger on, $5 here $10 there.  

I theorize if we just coast we will be nearly broke by the 1st.  

My husband wants to fill the camper up with gasoline ($4/gal) and buy a $100.00 battery so that we can go camping this weekend.  I told him we can just tent it, that we can't afford to do that right now.  Filling the camper is easily a bill, probably more.  He is talking about leaving us with chump change for the next 9 days.  

For some reason he thinks he really needs to do this, I dont get it.  I dont see why it cant wait a while longer.  

We try to keep decision making pretty mutual, but most of the responsibilities fall onto my shoulders therefore I generally make most decisions...but sometimes he acts as if he is whipped despite him not wanting most responsibilities/decisions so I like to throw him a bone now and again.  Let him feel a little more....umm....you know...

I told him, "If you think we really need to, then ok, its your decision."...

I really hope he doesn't spend all that money.  

The thing that is most frustrating is if he does and we are broke I KNOW he will be complaining, "My card got declined at the store, what happened?  What did you do?  Why are we broke?".  He always acts like anytime we are broke its completely my fault.  Even though I always tell him when our account is drying up and tell him how much is allowed per day.  Im always like, "Hey babe, went over the finances, all our bills are paid and we only have this much money, so we cant spend more than this much per day for the rest of the month"...He just bobs his head and does what he wants.  

I realize its not life or death, worst comes to worse if we run out of money tomorrow it would amount to us eating from our freezer and walking to work the rest of the month...Its just totally avoidable.  

Do any of your husbands act like they are rich until the convenience store clerk tells them otherwise?  

by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM
That would be so annoying. I'm the saver not the spender in our house, too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 22, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

No my husband, thank god has a good head on his shoulders.

We would NOT be spending money on trips and camping if we didn't have money for the month.

Those things happen when we plan and save specifically for them and the money doesn't come out of our monthly nut.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM
11 moms liked this

I can't even imagine getting my card declined! I would be mortified.

I honestly can't believe the life some of you lead.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM
5 moms liked this

nope. i handle all of the finances because dh knows he is not good with money. he leaves me the debit cards during the week and i give him an allowance. we are not close to running out of money but we still need to stay on a budget so we can stay comfortable. any purchase more than his allowance, we discuss first. we could afford for him to buy all the stuff he wants but just because we have money in the bank doesnt mean we should spend it. i believe in saving and budgeting no matter how much money you have because you never know when something could go wrong and you need that money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM
15 moms liked this

Stop swiping the damned card

get an envelop put in his weekly spending allowance and that is IT he will get the message when he pulls out the last few bills.

Grown man acting like a kid.

logansmommy612
by Amanda on May. 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
We both are spenders but i cannot imagine only having $300 in my account. That would completley stress me out.
AHmom103
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Mine kind of does. He is in charge of the finances, but his idea of a comfortable balance and mine are two different things. He likes to go and spend pretty much every penny of our disposable money at once, leaving just enough for gas and his snuff for the rest of the pay period. Which would be fine, except I like to be able to get takeout now and then, or take the kids out for a random girls day once a month.

milkmama36
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

YES. It infuriating too not spend a an extra penny on anything but essential bills for weeks myself, and then see him stroll through the door with a bought coffee, or pack of cigs.

Xat
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
He needs to use a tent if he wants to go camping that bad. My hubby is usually pretty good at spending money I would be so mad if he wanted us to go broke because of a camping trip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM

It is! lol, hes not so terrible, we generally see eye to eye and he tries to abide by my budget but when given the choice to get said item or not get said item, he has a really hard time not buying things.  

Quoting mem82:

That would be so annoying. I'm the saver not the spender in our house, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)