Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grand daughter is calling me mama and the parents don't like it

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 105 Replies
I refer to myself as mama when talking to my dogs. I refer to myself as Grandma when talking to my grand daughter.

I've started babysitting GD during the week because i quit my job and she is now calling me mama. I guess she hears me say it to the dogs so much.

My daughter inlaw and son have noticed this and they don't like it. They want me to quit referring to myself as mama to my dogs.

I told them no and if they can't accept that then I can't watch GD every day anymore. They aren't happy.

I guess I need to add this since so many think I haven't tried to correct her. I correct her almost every time. When she says momma I almost always repeat grandma back to her. This is a very recent problem so she hasn't quite grasped it i suppose. She's not even 2 years old.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM
3 moms liked this
So your dogs are more important that your son and grand daughter?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
No. Where did I say that? I'm not going to change how I act at my home. I'm not saying GD isn't welcome over here but I guess it will have to be in weekend visits like it used to be.

Quoting Anonymous:

smack05
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
We went through this I told my daughter she knows who mama is and she is just repeating words she hears
momof35219
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM
She'll grow out of it. My kids called my mama I didn't have a problem with it. Just correct her say no it's grandma.

Quoting Anonymous:

I refer to myself as mama when talking to my dogs. I refer to myself as Grandma when talking to my grand daughter.

I've started babysitting GD during the week because i quit my job and she is now calling me mama. I guess she hears me say it to the dogs so much.

My daughter inlaw and son have noticed this and they don't like it. They want me to quit referring to myself as mama to my dogs.

I told them no and if they can't accept that then I can't watch GD every day anymore. They aren't happy.

qslaqhay
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldnt like for my baby to call his grandma mama either. However u can correct your granddaughter every time she refers to u as mama.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I do. When she says mama I repeat grandma back to her. Sometimes she will switch to grandma.

Quoting momof35219:

She'll grow out of it. My kids called my mama I didn't have a problem with it. Just correct her say no it's grandma.

Quoting Anonymous:

MalakbelLacuna
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM
2 moms liked this
It doesn't mean anything. They're acting ridiculous ridiculous imho
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM
5 moms liked this
She shouldnt have to live her life around others insecurities, especially silly ones like this.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM
I do.

Quoting qslaqhay:

I wouldnt like for my baby to call his grandma mama either. However u can correct your granddaughter every time she refers to u as mama.
CatFishMom
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Just emphasize to the kid that youre grandma. I dont blame them for not liking it-I wouldnt either-but it's not that difficult to correct if you try. And you dont have to change what you say to the dogs. Find an alternate solution everyone can live with (like correcting her), it doesnt HAVE to be either, or.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured