Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So with the weather turning warm I've been nosing the local yardsales and thrift shops. Everyones doing that sping cleaning.

OMG OMG OMG. I found Noritake tea cups! I love Noritake. It's a Japanese company that I think does China and stoneware right. So beautiful. Well me, I'm more an earthy stoneware kind of gal, I like muted earth tones. I found this set of Noritake Stoneware for $5! I couldn't turn it down.The tea pot was brand new It's not Noritake, however it's a German ceramic Villeroy and Boch. It was $3 I couldn't resist since I tend to make my tea per a cup per a person in the microwave. This should cut down on a lot of time. While it doesn't match the Noritake set, it does match my plain old green ceramic coffee cups that I normally use for tea. So it works well in my kitchen.

Mama Ajax @ Blogger

Just a little bit my life experiences.

by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
MamaAjax
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Yeah. I know what you mean. My hubby got a speeding ticket the week before our wedding -_-;;; that hurt.

I love thrifting. I grew up on welfare. My mom was a single mom of 2 putting herself through college. So there was never a such thing as "new" clothing. Most of our fruniture and everything came from hand-me-downs. My childhood bedroom set, was her childhood bedroom set, which was my uncles original set. Which is now... my son's bedroom set. 

I grew up in a place called Watertown in TN. They have this annual Mile Long Yard Sale. it's really famous. You can find all sorts of awesome things. It's actually about 2miles long in recent years. It was something I always looked forward to as a child.

So when I walk into Wal-Mart and see the prices I glare. To expensive. Which was a huge shocker to my hubby. He grew up in one of those "Name brand" homes where a $35 shirt was considered cheap. He thought target and wal-mart was as cheap as you could get. I took me nearly a year to get him to agree to walk into Goodwill with me.

Quoting eclaudin:

Lately I've been thrift store, flea market and yard sale crazy! I'm trying to furnish the 1927 house we just bought with a vintage feel. My most recent finds were a Fenton compote for $1, a gorgeous carved wood Victorian chair for 16, a beautiful old ceiling medallion for 6 (the new ones at Lowe's run thirty or forty bucks and they're PLASTIC)... I could go on and on. I especially love vintage glassware. Today I had to force myself to pass on a vintage crystal ice bucket, in light of the seatbelt ticket I just got ( the one I posted about in VB). That one hurt:(

Mama Ajax @ Blogger

MamaAjax
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

True. lol, bit late at night for that :P

Quoting TugBoatMama:

That's amazing! Well I can't not do it now, lol.

Quoting MamaAjax:

Go! Go! Go!

I ended up doing my son's summer shopping today for his clothes which is what led me nosing around other thrift stores. Walked out of Goodwill with about 3 pairs of shorts 2 pairs of pants, 5 tee-shirts, 2 dress shirts, 2 swimming trunks and 1 water tee all for $25 Granted we spent 3 hours in there with him trying on about 30 different articles of clothing.

Quoting TugBoatMama:

Idk why I've never thought to go thrifting during Spring cleaning time. Derrrrp. Doin it.

Mama Ajax @ Blogger

momwith2monkeys
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Everything in my house came from a,thrift store.
eclaudin
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM
While growing up we never went to thrift stores, my mom was a great bargain shopper. Everything came from TJ MAXX or a ridiculous sale. There was also a lady she would buy her daughter's gently used clothes off of for me for like $10 for a whole garbage bag. To this day she can combine coupons like nobody's business. For my birthday she gave me a bag full of brand new tops and a gorgeous teal lace dress she found for $2 each on the JC Penny's clearance rack.
So I have always appreciated a bargain. It's like a game:)

Quoting MamaAjax:

Yeah. I know what you mean. My hubby got a speeding ticket the week before our wedding -_-;;; that hurt.

I love thrifting. I grew up on welfare. My mom was a single mom of 2 putting herself through college. So there was never a such thing as "new" clothing. Most of our fruniture and everything came from hand-me-downs. My childhood bedroom set, was her childhood bedroom set, which was my uncles original set. Which is now... my son's bedroom set. 

I grew up in a place called Watertown in TN. They have this annual Mile Long Yard Sale. it's really famous. You can find all sorts of awesome things. It's actually about 2miles long in recent years. It was something I always looked forward to as a child.

So when I walk into Wal-Mart and see the prices I glare. To expensive. Which was a huge shocker to my hubby. He grew up in one of those "Name brand" homes where a $35 shirt was considered cheap. He thought target and wal-mart was as cheap as you could get. I took me nearly a year to get him to agree to walk into Goodwill with me.

Quoting eclaudin:

Lately I've been thrift store, flea market and yard sale crazy! I'm trying to furnish the 1927 house we just bought with a vintage feel. My most recent finds were a Fenton compote for $1, a gorgeous carved wood Victorian chair for 16, a beautiful old ceiling medallion for 6 (the new ones at Lowe's run thirty or forty bucks and they're PLASTIC)... I could go on and on. I especially love vintage glassware. Today I had to force myself to pass on a vintage crystal ice bucket, in light of the seatbelt ticket I just got ( the one I posted about in VB). That one hurt:(

MamaAjax
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Yeah. We lived to far out for that. The area's grown up a lot in recent years. I have lived there in nearly 15 years, but when we lived there the nearest wal-mart was 40minutes up the road. I never even heard of TJ Maxx and those other stores till we moved down to FL. It was a big change for me going from a high school with a graduating class of 39 students to going to a high school with a graduating class of 675+ students.

Quoting eclaudin:

While growing up we never went to thrift stores, my mom was a great bargain shopper. Everything came from TJ MAXX or a ridiculous sale. There was also a lady she would buy her daughter's gently used clothes off of for me for like $10 for a whole garbage bag. To this day she can combine coupons like nobody's business. For my birthday she gave me a bag full of brand new tops and a gorgeous teal lace dress she found for $2 each on the JC Penny's clearance rack.
So I have always appreciated a bargain. It's like a game:)

Quoting MamaAjax:

Quoting eclaudin:

Mama Ajax @ Blogger

KarriePlus1
by Karen on May. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Not really my style, but cute!

I worked at a thrift store for a few months, and now I work at an atique store. I've already noticed a couple things that I've seen before in here, with the price jacked waaayyy up! Lol.

Mrsangeltoes
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Are you kidding me??? Everything I buy is thrifty shopping!! I'm addicted to thrift shops and Craigslist. Just got these chairs free
MamaAjax
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Yeah. I worked for a 2nd hand children store when my son was born. I was with them for over 2 years before she sold her business and moved on to another one. I was very depressed learning she was closing it, however thanks to that experience and training of shifting through bags upon bags of clothing determining what to buy and want not to buy for the store. I have a really good eye for it now.

Quoting KarriePlus1:

Not really my style, but cute!

I worked at a thrift store for a few months, and now I work at an atique store. I've already noticed a couple things that I've seen before in here, with the price jacked waaayyy up! Lol.

Mama Ajax @ Blogger

MamaAjax
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I'm skeptical of craigslist, but I use it every now and then. I just can get the news headlines out of my head.

Quoting Mrsangeltoes:

Mobile Photo

Are you kidding me??? Everything I buy is thrifty shopping!! I'm addicted to thrift shops and Craigslist. Just got these chairs free

Mama Ajax @ Blogger

Mrsangeltoes
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Mobile Photo

Picked this up free yesterday too. Wooden dog crate. It's a little chewed up but nothing some sand paper and paint can't fix
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN