Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can Catholics Be Pro Choice???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
I've never met Catholic who was pro choice.
Today I met one lady who claims to be Catholic and be pro choice.
I was a little shocked from what I heard it's against what they believe.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Bump
illinoismommy83
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I'm Catholic, pro-choice and support gay rights. Mind blow, eh?

I mean, I believe in the bible and go to church and try to live a good life, but I value women's rights and human rights above outdated random verses of the bible that COULD be viewed as meaning abortion is wrong and being gay is wrong.

The old testament says we can have the village stone our disobedient kids if we do choose... only a few pages away from where it says don't be gay. So is the OT still accurate?

Edit: Abortion didn't even exist 2000 years ago, did it? So I don't think Jesus was all "Hey, in the future, don't abort your fetuses!" because Jesus wasn't psychic about medical advancements.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 22, 2013 at 11:57 PM
My mom's catholic and prochoice. She's not a practicing catholic though. She only considers herself catholic because she was baptized as catholic.
andreamarie
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Thats one of the main reasons i am no longer catholic.
I am not a hypocrit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Well if they practice it as well
CraftyGirlChar
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Technically, no. I would say a Catholic who professes they are pro-choice is usually a non practicing "cafeteria" Catholic (baptized into the faith but not living by the rules of the church). However, practicing Catholic-Christians are to follow church teachings (rules), one belief being that life begins at conception, and another the commandment that "thou shall not kill." With that in mind, condoning abortion (pro choice) would be against the "rules". Basically, the Catholic (universal) church has always kept the same teachings and traditions throughout the years. Although we living in an ever changing world, the religion will not change. Catholic-christians who dedicatedly follow the church teachings understand there's no gray area in the faith... It's either you're in it 100% or you are not a Catholic in good standing with the church. And yes, it is hypocritical for one to say they are Catholic and pro-choice... That would mean they are not a practicing Catholic (one who listens to the word and applies the teachings to their lives).
winterglow
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Not all Catholics are hard-liners. I live in France, a Catholic country, and abortion has been an option since the 70s.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)